SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in 2008 I bought my NG900T with 55k on it for $4995. I checked its value in good condition less than a year ago and it was only like $3300-3600, now that I have 75k on it (highway miles) its worth $4400! How can this possibly happen? I mean, that's not even taking upgrades into account like a Stage 2 ECU or upgraded exhaust. Does anyone think this is weird or anything?
By the way I used KBB.com for the appraisal and used the Private Party Value selection and I live very close to Portland, OR, if that matters.
Any ideas of how to maximize this trend with upgrades or ways to add value?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
upgrades detract, not add value.

kbb also means nothing on used cars as the market will most likely not sell that car for 4-5k.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only way your getting 4-5k is if someone who has no idea what other NG900's are going for buys it. KBB is pretty inaccurate for what people are actually getting for their cars. And the problem with mods is that in most situations they detract value.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Better gas milage and performance hurts value? I mean, if I had done a ton of cosmetic things or some ghetto supercharger setup on it I could see losing value. My point is that the VAST majority of vehicles plummet in value, and for this car to be going up is kind of rare to say the least. People will pay a lot for low milage cars too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my '97 900SET 5spd this past April for about ~$3250 with 60K on it.
I month ago I looked up values for the car and found on KBB it was worth ~$4500, I got excited and decided to look on cars.com and found that there were 6 900SET listings under 75K miles. They all were in the $5,500-$9000 range. The two that were lower priced had bad interiors but i was surprised to find that i made a great investment.:D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought my '97 900SET 5spd this past April for about ~$3250 with 60K on it.
I month ago I looked up values for the car and found on KBB it was worth ~$4500, I got excited and decided to look on cars.com and found that there were 6 900SET listings under 75K miles. They all were in the $5,500-$9000 range. The two that were lower priced had bad interiors but i was surprised to find that i made a great investment.:D
See guys, that's exactly what I'm talking about, any ideas why the value of these cars on KBB is going up so drastically and fast? Lol in your case you might want to wait a little longer and sell for a huge profit. Me, on the other hand, bought it for fair value and now know that if I sold I would break even or so over 2.5 years... not too shabby.

·
Registered
211 Posts
the economy is boosting the "value" of used cars. its just a trend.

and 30k+ msrp saabs selling for 4k 10 years later is hardly holding value. which is good for me.

but most used cars are selling for more than what they could be sold for last year. kinda chity... but oh wells.

aside from enthusiasts most car shoppers don't want to buy someone elses projects either, hence the depreciation for mods

·
Registered
949 Posts
I too find the trend interesting and agree that the used car market is generally buoyant right now.

As far as the modifications go, sadly, I must agree that they aren't worth a dollar and may diminish value as the others have stated.

A few years ago I bought a V12 Jaguar in near concours condition with super low mileage and full history. I did some very tasteful but very expensive upgrades from the most respected performance engineer for Jags in the world and the car still brought only "clean book" when sold. To put a finer point on it, the mods were in excess of $15K and I did not get one dollar over clean "book" for the car on resale.

I wish the Jag had been an isolated incident but I have seen the same sad result with other vehicles. I always assumed that the mods were just not "tasteful" enough on the other cars. On the Jag, I KNOW they were. What's more is that, inb this economy, I had to sell it to an enthusiast to even get "clean book"!

D-

·
Registered
34 Posts
KBB always tracks a lot higher than Edmunds. The reality is usually somewhere in the middle. The spread on my '99 base 9-3 is actually about $2000, believe it or not. KBB says $6355 retail in excellent condition and Edmunds says $4352 in outstanding condition. I happily paid $4700 retail.

Having said that, I've heard that used cars prices are rising in general right now. I'm guessing that it's a combination of the economy and the end of the government incentives on new cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts