SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm pretty new to this website and to Saabs in general and I'm looking for some help. I've got a 1996 Saab 900S Convertible (2.3L) and I'm going to replace the whole distributer, wires, and plugs. I work on cars here and there (never any Saabs though) and this isnt going to be the first time I've had to change a distributer so I know for the most part what I'm doing.

The question I'm asking is what is the ignition timing supposed to be set at?? I know most naturally aspirated motors are set between 2 and 6 degrees before TDC at idle...

Thanks guys

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's exactly it lol. The cars been throwing a code for a little while now and inspection times coming up so I've gotta fix it soon. It's the P0341 code, which is the faulty camshaft position sensor. I opened the hood and checked out the sensor and there's oil all over the bottom of the distributer. (119,000 miles)

Thanks hkayssi, I'm actually not going to rebuild it myself though. I picked up a rebuilt one from eeuroparts.com along with plugs and wires a few days ago. If I don't hear from anyone here, I'll try to get ahold of the guy who did the write-up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't know how the code would come into this, if related at all, but is it possible that that 'O' ring is leaking where the distributer and valve cover meet up?

jmcg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure that's possible, but in my case its one or more of the rings inside the distributer. The rotor, sensor, and inside of the cap were all soaked with oil when I took the cap off to look at it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would expect to see a "spark" issue due to the oil in the distibutor before any impact on the sensor. Is it a leak or weap? If a weap, you could clean the sensor/pick up area with an electronics cleaner as well as clean and check the connector, check for shaft play, reset the computer and see if the code returns before installing the new components. It could be that the pick up is going bad but the oil itself IMHO should not impact it and cause a CEL. Are you having any driveability issues? To answer your other question, there is no timing to adjust on the your engine. The ECM takes care of this. If you do the swap, just make sure the rotor is pointing the same direction as the one you removed when you install the distributor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
green machine - thanks for pointing out the obvious, i cant believe i didnt relize that the sensor and ecu control the ignition timing. i'm used to the old muscle cars where you'd need a timing light to set up the distributer after you install it. man, i'm starting to scare myself.
as for the cel, about a month back when the light origionally went on, i saw the oil leaking out of the distributer. so i took the distributer apart and cleaned the senser with contact-renu, wiped out as much of the oil form inside as a could and put it back together. the cel shut off and the car started running better. up until a few days ago it was fine, now its throwing the same code as before, not running well, and more oil has leaked out. the distributer is shot and needs to be rebuit, not to mention the car desperately needs a new cap and rotor anyways. the contacts are orange and feel like sand paper. So basically, this is why i'm replacing the whole distributer.

·
Registered
719 Posts
tbag_skywalker said:
green machine - thanks for pointing out the obvious, i cant believe i didnt relize that the sensor and ecu control the ignition timing. i'm used to the old muscle cars where you'd need a timing light to set up the distributer after you install it. man, i'm starting to scare myself.

No problem and it's not the obvious.... I've worked on vehichles that have cam position sensors / crank position sensors that the computer controls advance but base timing still needs set the good old fashion way. Good luck with the swap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts