SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help and advice.
The problem been racing on the ice with a ng 900 turbo 5 speed and have tossed 3 motors in row last winter with about a day running on each one. 2 motors were under 120000miles both 2.0 and last one was a rebuilt with new bearings and rings that was 2.0. for oil running 4 quarts 5w/30 synthetic motor stock with few turns on wastgate. Now for many years have ran c900 turbos for 2-3seasons on a motor no problem both on road/dirt and ice.
Now what has gone on each one is #4 connecting rod comes through the exhaust side of the block.

Looking to start road racing this car and do not want these motors to becoming apart. Has anyone have any experience racing these cars at 80+ miles a hour and dumping them through the corners hard and having problems with the engine.

What I think is going on is the oil is getting pushed away from the pickup and then starves for oil and then does a rod.

Appreciate any advice on the subject.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
accusump would eliminate the question of oil starvation. I would rather know for sure and add a couple strategically placed oil pressure sensors and some basic data logging before spending the money.

We ran the B204 drag car to 8400 rpm all last season and the bearing still look nice. Now it does have the balance shafts deleted and plugged. Essentially giving us a bit more oil delivery to the rest of the parts.

Is it possible that its a knock issue and you are helping by beating the bearings out to start the failure? #4 is at the end of the fuel rail.

·
Registered
465 Posts
hmmm

shouldn't you be running more then just 4 qts I am thinking 4.5 and I would probably run the shella rotella t 5w40 as you are racing you are going to be more on then off the car so the 40 should protect better then a 5w30 even in the cold. The number 4 getting slapped chopped would seem to be like Nick says knocking. But I would suspect the thicker oil would help support the engine better once it was fully warmed up. And a must in warmer then winter weather.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Also could it be the oil cooler getting plugged with ice debris during a race?

I have never ice raced but lots of circle track on dirt and asphalt and the coolers plug up pretty quick with tire and mud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you accusump through the cooler lines, or did you customize the filter mounting block?

Best,
Drew

·
Registered
755 Posts
I ran my 9-3 (same engine as your ng) for several days of ice racing. I'm guessing you were running harder, but I wasn't exactly babying my car and I never ran into any problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts