SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought a new generation Saab 9-5 and a couple of the LED bulbs don't appear to work on the high brake light located on the rear screen.

Does anyone know how to get to this light and change the LED bulbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday!

Old one looked like this:

The part you need is 13299395, ~$75 from Jim Ellis or Saab Parts Cheap (edit- I see you're in the UK, so your part number is probably different, and those are US sources)

Steps to replace:

Remove both rear seat bolster cushions. There is an orange tab near the top, pull that towards the front of the car to release a retaining pin that holds the tabs. Then jiggle the bolster around and slide it forward from the top, and lift up once the tabs are out. That said, I absolutely broke the tabs. :(

My broken piece and the hole it goes into

To disconnect the electrical connector in the bolster, if you have rear airbags, use a small flat head screwdriver to lift the white retainer, then press the hidden tab to remove. Set the bolsters somewhere out of the way.

Next remove both pillar liners:

Here's what it looks like behind the lining. See those blue tabs? The lining slides into that, so to remove, remove the screw, pop out both retaining clips, then pull the liner towards the front of the car as you lift it away from the rear deck.

Driver's side:

Passenger side (that little white connector in the middle is the high brake light. Disconnect it now):

Remove the rear deck. Put the seats down, and it's just three retaining pins. Slide the seatbelts through the slit, then lift up and pull out. Leave the foam where it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The light is obviously here:

To remove the light itself, the wire is held in place with felt tape, just peel it to the side (you can reuse it). There are pins on the bottom held in place with these little metal retaining washers. I could not for the life of me remove them without snapping off the plastic pins. Which is fine, since I was throwing away the old light anyway. Feed the wire through the back, put the new light in and push the washers down onto the pin with a small socket.

Reinstallation is, as they say, the reverse of those steps :)

Hooray! Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
Just used this thread today to fix my 3rd light. Easy as could be! Thanks!
Glad you found us and thanks for joining!

I think I will “sticky” this thread to the top of this forum. Very nice write up! ;ol;

·
Registered
11 Posts
you can also replace the burnt out LED

I have a few CHMSL around, I am going to take a few LED out and replace them, But thanks for the excellent write up.;ol;

1 - 8 of 8 Posts