SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would attach the cooling fins (like that one for example) in the recessed area of the DIC. If necessary, I have to shorten the fins and probably sand off the paint in that area.

My major question is if that mod would reduce the temperature of the coils at least a little bit, since it's apparently the heat which is killing the coils in the end.

· Registered
11,867 Posts
Since there's little airflow up there, and when the car is shut off the highest temperatures are going to be up there anyway, I don't see any point in this.

The DIC will be at the temp of the head, which is a great heat sink. The head obviously won't get too hot unless the car overheats, in which case you have other problems anyway.

· Registered
03 vert se-sports pkg, 01 viggen vert
1,152 Posts
When the hood insulation gets old it sags & rubs on the top of the engine. Look at the foil section for dark spots. I would imagine its like laying a blanket on top of the engine while running. Hard to believe theres much air flow getting through there. I made a make shift silicone sleeve to go on the bottom of the DIC to help with heat transfer. I cant say for sure atm, if its helping but the dic hasnt failed yet. I suppose time will tell.

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hood insulation is okay, no sagging and no dark/burnt spots.

Like stated before, I just want to find a viable solution (if there is any) to make the DIC last longer.

· Registered
797 Posts
When the hood insulation gets old it sags & rubs on the top of the engine.
It does indeed and probably isn't that noticeable when the hood/bonnet is up. Mine clearly sags because I can see where it rubs on the top of the oil filler. In fact the gap between the engine components and insulation is so close I found my headlamp cover still sat on top of the battery housing the other day after I changed the bulbs about 3 weeks ago! (#crapspannering :rolleyes:)

It's even worse if it's ever got wet. Had that on one of my previous 9-5s.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
Ya the cooling system keeps the engine internals just fine. Its the manifold, turbo & too little fan action in summertime, raising underhood temps i dont like. & my car is black of course. Sitting in traffic you also have heat radiating up from the cat adding to it
The temp guage doesnt show those temps. Since ive started controling the fan myself-wrapped exhaust, eliminated the overhead blanket & reduced heat from cat to oil pan ive noticed dic is lasting longer & hoses/plastics not deteriorating as fast, ect. Just a thought. But this is in my daily driver. For a once in a while car, i probly wouldnt worry about it

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine is a daily driver, too. And I had also noticed that in the summertime the temperatures under the hood are quite high though the temperature gauge of the coolant is in the green. Maybe I'm taking a leaf out of your book and replace the insulation after your model.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
I also took 2 thin silicone potholders & cut them to fit under the dic in an attempt to reduce heat transferring to the coil pack electronic components. I think its helping but i cant say for sure just yet. Exhaust heat wrap is also your friend

· Premium Member
6,004 Posts
I also took 2 thin silicone potholders & cut them to fit under the dic in an attempt to reduce heat transferring to the coil pack electronic components. I think its helping but i cant say for sure just yet. Exhaust heat wrap is also your friend
Re: potholders....how can that effort make a difference? Seems to me now you just have more stuff down there retaining the temperature of the combined mass.

I don't know if you realize this but exhaust wrap is installed to keep the exhaust gases hot, not to provide any kind of cooling under the hood.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
Re: potholders....how can that effort make a difference? Seems to me now you just have more stuff down there retaining the temperature of the combined mass.

I don't know if you realize this but exhaust wrap is installed to keep the exhaust gases hot, not to provide any kind of cooling under the hood.
Have you ever used it? it definitely reduces under hood temperatures. you should try it sometime. It keeps the exhaust gases hot by not letting them Escape out side of the exhaust pipe which in turn heats up the engine compartment . and by using silicone which is highly heat resistant. It should make a heat barrier. Like i said b4, i cant say for sure its making a difference but im comfortable saying it certainly isnt hurting it. Ive had it on a 2016 dic with at least 50k mi on it since ive had it, & no hiccups, stalling, or cracks in the black plastic cover to date. If you think about it the worst thing for electronics is heat

1 - 20 of 35 Posts