SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this strange sound from my front left wheel, sounds like rubber touching something.
Done a search and seems like the wheel bearing is a good guess but ive had a wheel bearing fail before and it was more of a humming sound and a loose wheel.

I cant hear the sound when going fast, only when im driving slowly and it seems to get worse when im turning. Theres no vibrations except the usual.

i can hear the sound 1 time every time the wheel turns, like:
gnikk, gnikk, gnikk, gnikk or something.

Sounds pretty mutch like something rubber that hasnt got lube. :roll:

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
cv boots..

hey there,

have you checked you cv boots? my car was making the same sound...turns out the cv boot was torn and the joints where left ungreased...when ever it rained though, the sound dissapeared...i guess water lubricated the joints! but check that out, maybe an easy and cheap fix! unless you decide to change the whole assembly...i know you probably should....! i didnt, i didnt have the money at the time, and its running fine for me now ...

hope that helps!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm not sure how to pronounce the sound you typed :roll: so this advice might be rubish...

Along withthe boot, check your tire tread and pressure.

--Jeremy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
checked out outer cv boots, looked pretty new. couldnt see the inner boots.
i think im going to my mechanic and let him have a look.

The problem started about a week or two ago, havent been driving mutch lately.
Started when i had winter tires on, changed to summer shoes on sunday but the problem persisted so I dont think it has any thing to do with the tyres.

I can imagine it is a poor wheel bearing but symptoms are not like last wheel bearing failure, so can be your right and it is a cv joint that is failing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts