SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my latest mods that I installed today. I know the Opti-flow won't gain me any power, but it does seem to spool up faster. Plus it sounds cool and hell, it's only money (don't let my wife hear that one). Ha! Next up is exhaust and wheels/tires, but that will wait till spring.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awjones said:
question: is that bottom pic showing a 3pt subframe? if so, notice any difference?

It is the 3 pt brace but I haven't had a chance to take the car out for a good drive yet. Maybe later tonight and I'll back to you.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ctrlz said:
Some spiffy new jackstands you have there. Shiny!
Hey, my old ones were all rusty, plus these were on sale for $15! :D

The Saab Newbie said:
He lives outside of Detroit, everyone has jackstands. :lol: Just kidding you, originally from Michigan myself.

Jeff
Who needs jackstands, after you steal the rims/tires just set it down on the rotors, that's real Detroit style, ha!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cmanser said:
Did you get to go for that ride?
Sure did last night. Doesn't really feel much different on the city streets, but it definitely feels tighter out on the highway. There's also less body roll through the curves and corners........I am very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yeah it is - but not with a Saab - they don't even get a second look from jackers - Dodge Chargers seem to be high on the list - park one on the street in Detroit and you'd be lucky to make one night before you found it sitting on the rotors or maybe just disappears. People will even leave notes on the car with supportive comments and even sympathize with the owner if available. People love cars here.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ANTMAR said:
Yeah it is - but not with a Saab - they don't even get a second look from jackers - Dodge Chargers seem to be high on the list - park one on the street in Detroit and you'd be lucky to make one night before you found it sitting on the rotors or maybe just disappears. People will even leave notes on the car with supportive comments and even sympathize with the owner if available. People love cars here.
Dodge Chargers and the poor man's Bentley aka the Chrysler 300. I remember in the 80s & early 90s if you had a G-Body GM (Monte Carlo, Cutlass and Regal) it would get broken into or jacked within a heart beat.

·
Registered
615 Posts
ANTMAR said:
Well, I think they'd have a tough time trying to find someone to buy wheels with a 5x110 bolt patter. Might end up trying to sell it back to the original saab owner.:cheesy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seem like you're pulling any warmer air with the opti flow? Any CELs?

Cool, approximate area where I live too :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
traqweapon said:

Cool, approximate area where I live too :D
Not sure if it's pulling warmer air in, especially with our current weather, plus I left the original tubing that leads to lower front of the vehicle. No CELs to speak of.

Now that I have a Saab, I've been noticing alot more around here. A black 9-3 Aero w/tint was driving through my neighborhood last week. Wasn't you was it? :D

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i don't doubt you feel a difference with the newly installed subframe brace, but as far as those go, that looks worthless. i have the same intake on my car, which is "worthless" as well...but at least it sounds nice. it seems like i lost a little mid range and gained a little upper rpm with the intake (which makes sense, but i'm not sure what the T8 might be doing to compensate). i put very little faith into the butt dyno...even mine.

in the 2 years i've had my intake on, and the 3-4 years i've owned my car, the CEL has never come on. i have no doubt it does run hotter sometimes, but even after 2 sessions of autocrossing, i've never had a problem. a more sensitive thermostat gauge rather than the common, garbage OEM gauges would be helpful here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Na, I dont have tint on mine. I noticed that too, once I started driving mine it seems everyone has a 93. Though, Ive only seen two other 4cyl aeros in the style that came with my rims.

Cojoroh said:
in the 2 years i've had my intake on, and the 3-4 years i've owned my car, the CEL has never come on. i have no doubt it does run hotter sometimes, but even after 2 sessions of autocrossing, i've never had a problem. a more sensitive thermostat gauge rather than the common, garbage OEM gauges would be helpful here.
Well pulling a higher air intake temp is different than what your engine coolant temp is running.
Im not really sure why everyone treats trionic like its some arcane alien software though... tons of cars have ECU barriers (cough audis) and you still see crazy mods every block. I mean even look how everyone throws a huge red X on bovs (not a fan myself) because we have MAFs. So do DSMs, and 11 out of 10 people driving them (performance minded drivers that is) have BOVs.

Sad to say it, I think the 03+ saab performance community isnt hardcore enough :lol:

Ill be throwing all sorts of chassis bars and bilsteins and such on mine very shortly, because I have felt the difference first hand in various cars.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
traqweapon said:
Im not really sure why everyone treats trionic like its some arcane alien software though... tons of cars have ECU barriers (cough audis) and you still see crazy mods every block. I mean even look how everyone throws a huge red X on bovs (not a fan myself) because we have MAFs. So do DSMs, and 11 out of 10 people driving them (performance minded drivers that is) have BOVs.

You have Motronic, not Trionic...:D Saab wised up and went to a less proprietary system...

The MAF isn't the issue with Trionic, it's how the engine management meters the airflow between it and the intake manifold.

Sad to say it, I think the 03+ saab performance community isnt hardcore enough :lol:
He's calling you out, SS drivers! No more widdle bitty mods like intakes and shift knobs...:lol:

Ill be throwing all sorts of chassis bars and bilsteins and such on mine very shortly, because I have felt the difference first hand in various cars.
The SS handles pretty well stock, so any suspension mods are going to make it sing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ha Ha. Mine is a 2k4. Im calling myself out!

Trionic, Motronic, ...Bionic, the're all the same. Im calling them FCKD*onic for now :lol:
I really dont think they are as complicated as we like to treat them. I think no tuning companies put enough time into them. Simple economics indicate as well, you got a few guys (BSR, etc) that slapped up a flash to crank up the boost... no competitors, sell it outright for a grand. In old turbo dodges we call that BSR stage 1 a $6 trip to the hardware store to crank your boost up to 20 lbs :cheesy:

Also about the factory aero suspension-- it is great and Im mostly satisfied. In fact, considering how smooth/quiet it rides, the handling can be called awesome. I could go for a change up in weight transfer for and sacrifice a little ride quality though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am pretty sure that the BSR upgrade does a bit more than merely cranking up the boost...easier said than done on these complex ECUs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Easier said than done, from the standpoint of the drivers who mainly consist of non-electrical engineers motiviated in automotive performance.

Merely cranking up the boost does have alot to offer anyways from stock cars. Most, stock turbo cars dont require much more to handle increased airflow from their stock turbos. If the turbo pushes more air than it did before, the MAFs MAPs O2s IATs gonzo ETC are going to call more fuel. Now when you get a larger turbo that can supply more lb's / min, you want higher boost and need higher rate fuel injectors to keep up, and need fuel maps recurved... well, now were talking.

Does anyone actually know what the BSR tuning consists of? I wonder if it richens the AF up a little while under open-loop metering?

Eh... mad off topic, maybe we should start a performance tech. thread on this one.

To the original post by detroitsaab--

Whats your evaluation on the intake? Does that shield seem to do an OK job sealing off that little space?
What about the factory feed tube in the bottom of the stock airbox location? I heard complaints its flow sucks. Did you see any possible ideas on re-plumbing a good cold air feed near your intake?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts