SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put a 2011 auto 5spd transmission in a 2006 (auto 5-spd) 9-3?

I don't mind using the 2011 TCU (or updating the existing unit), and updating the ECU.

If there's a compatibility matrix or FAQ that I missed, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is it possible to put a 2011 auto 5spd transmission in a 2006 (auto 5-spd) 9-3?

I don't mind using the 2011 TCU (or updating the existing unit), and updating the ECU.

If there's a compatibility matrix or FAQ that I missed, I'm all ears!
Depends on your engine. I believe the part number for the automatic 5 speed transmission on the 2003-2011 9-3s with the B207R engine is the same (55353747). The only exception is in 2003 there were 2 different transmissions with two slightly different part numbers. As long as the 2011 transmission has the same part number as your 2006, then yes.

·
Super Moderator
20,196 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, and thank you both. There's some interchange confusion (eg a 2007 is listed as fitting a 2011, but a 2011 isn't listed as fitting anything other than 2010 and 2011).

I'm going to check the part numbers out just be certain. I don't know where to look for the part number still (after 1/2 hr spent on google) but I'm going out to the car later today to check visually. If anyone knows whether it's visible from the top that would be valuable info.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great, and thank you both. There's some interchange confusion (eg a 2007 is listed as fitting a 2011, but a 2011 isn't listed as fitting anything other than 2010 and 2011).

I'm going to check the part numbers out just be certain. I don't know where to look for the part number still (after 1/2 hr spent on google) but I'm going out to the car later today to check visually. If anyone knows whether it's visible from the top that would be valuable info.
It's been awhile since last I looked but I think the yellowish / orangish metal tag with the part # on it is on the topside of the transmission just below the battery somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's really helpful. Coincidentally, the battery grounds need examining, and that's in the same area. I didn't see anything from the top, with the battery box in place, this afternoon.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just looked at my car. It's on the transmission directly below the power steering reservoir. So stand by the left front wheel with a flashlight and look in the area between the battery and the power steering reservior. Directly below on the transmission you should see it. Unless the area is dirty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you! I'll check it out tomorrow morning. Much appreciated.

Edit: yep, pretty dirty. I'm cleaning with some engine cleaner & letting it soak in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understood and thank you. The cleaner is real mild (I've used it before to clean around wiring harnesses, so this should end up being ok).

I want to get the battery tray out, to get a good visual. My largest Torx bit is one size smaller than the head, so I'm going to get a bunch of bits out of storage tomorrow & Tuesday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts