SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There
New to the forum as well as Saab ownership but decided after that little bit of sun we had a couple of weeks ago we needed a rag top.
Picked up a '96 900i convertible which we are really pleased with but a couple of bits don't work and would appreciate any advise on where to start?

The central locking does not work (door operated only not through remote) and occasionally the remote boot lid does work when key not in ignition.

Both electric door mirrors not working, saloon courtesy light switch in console not working and the SRS light is on, checked all fuses etc and all ok.

Front leather seats have seen better days and there are lots of leather restorer kits available - can anyone recommend one?

Sounds bad but we love it.

Also i'm used to driving autos and the clutch is really really heavy - is this normal?

Appreciate your help.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hi There
New to the forum as well as Saab ownership but decided after that little bit of sun we had a couple of weeks ago we needed a rag top.
Picked up a '96 900i convertible which we are really pleased with but a couple of bits don't work and would appreciate any advise on where to start?

The central locking does not work (door operated only not through remote) and occasionally the remote boot lid does work when key not in ignition.

Both electric door mirrors not working, saloon courtesy light switch in console not working and the SRS light is on, checked all fuses etc and all ok.

Front leather seats have seen better days and there are lots of leather restorer kits available - can anyone recommend one?

Sounds bad but we love it.

Also i'm used to driving autos and the clutch is really really heavy - is this normal?

Appreciate your help.
Cheers
I'll answer what I can:

The switch for the electric mirrors fails regularly. I think the contacts in the switch needs cleaned. Or find a new switch.

SRS light means Supplemental Restraint System, meaning there is a fault with the air bags somewhere. My 99 9-3 has air bags in the seats. Whether yours does or not, I dunno. But it's possible your seat's condition might have something to do with it or a bag has been deployed and hidden damage from previous owner.

The clutch should feel OK. Hard to determine what "really" heavy is as that'll vary from person to person, but it might be something with the cable.

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
I'll second some of what Pontius said...

These do have a manual clutch, which some find heavier, definitely heavier than something like Honda. However, I don't see any real difference in feel between my NG900 and my 9-3. If it's really heavy, you probably need a cable. My advice would be to replace the cable - they live about 50K miles and when they go, you stop. So, replace it and see if it improves. It's a DIY job, but a PITA one.

The SRS light indicates something wrong with the airbag system. If you or the previous owner fooled with the mechanisms or wiring, you could set it off. Once it goes on with an NG900 it has to be reset with a tech II by a dealer or Saab indy. They can/will read the code and tell you what it says. If there's a problem, they can point you at it and you can repair it. The light will come back if the problem persists.

The mirror switches will usually start working if you push them back and forth a hundred times. You have to use them occasionally to keep them clean internally. Most people set and forget so they get dirty.

I don't really follow what you said about the locking... describe what works and doesn't in more detail and someone can help.

FYI - if you just got this car, replace the upper idler pulley (and serpentine belt). The only last 50K miles and if you don't know when it was last done, you should replace that too. Easy DIY.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.
I will look into the central locking over weekend and post what works and what doesn't
Cheers for the tips on what to replace as a matter of course.
;ol;

·
Registered
248 Posts
the remote boot lid does work when key not in ignition.
i would bet the cylinder is stuck down and not fully turned to "off." make sure you lubricate that thing soon, because when it goes it's a pain in the butt to work around (or expensive to replace all the locks). when mine stays stuck down after i remove the key, what i do is press the pad of my thumb straight down on it, and then flick forward, gentle-but-firm.

you can circumvent the security features entirely by disassembling the shifter housing and removing the reverse lockout components, but you cannot open or service the lock cylinder itself, and eventually it will "eat" your key. i have one sitting in my garage with the key still stuck fast in it. so lubricate it sooner rather than later and you won't have to watch your saab dragged forwards onto a wrecker with the transmission locked in reverse. :( that or keep the requisite tools handy, so you can disassemble the housing on the side of the road.

i like breakfree CLP, which is auto/marine/firearms friendly, other people like other stuff.

the clutch is really really heavy - is this normal?
yup. you might want to replace the cable; the "self-adjusting" cable will eventually just stop working, it will be difficult to shift for a short while, and then suddenly it will be impossible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts