SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, decided to join the quirk world of SAAB's and I have a lot of questions.. I found a beautiful 2002 9-3 SE with an automatic trans, premium package and its in Midnight blue. It has 55K miles and its the hatchback.

My questions are pretty general, so here they are.

1) I have heard of the dreaded sludge problem, yet many of the saab service people I have spoken to say that it really only affects the 9-5... Is this something I have to worry about?

2) Real world durabilty/ longevity of these motors? Can they handle daily driving, in and out stop and go,

3) durabilty of the components on the car, including the leather, carpeting, plastics, climate control, SID system etc.

4) Real fuel mileage as I have heard wild claims in the low thirties on the freeway to 19mpg...

5) What fuel does best? premium? Midgrade? or even regular?

6) Reliability in day to day usage?

7) problem areas?

8) How good is the automatic transmission? Durable?

9) was this the last of the true SAABS? How much of my car is GM?

10) How popular is the hatchback? The salesgirl says she wishes she had 20 of them as they would sell immediately... True?

Thanks for the help. I am hoping I made a wise decision to buy a SAAB.

pete

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
peterdaniel said:
Hey everyone, decided to join the quirk world of SAAB's and I have a lot of questions.. I found a beautiful 2002 9-3 SE with an automatic trans, premium package and its in Midnight blue. It has 55K miles and its the hatchback.

My questions are pretty general, so here they are.

1) I have heard of the dreaded sludge problem, yet many of the saab service people I have spoken to say that it really only affects the 9-5... Is this something I have to worry about?

2) Real world durabilty/ longevity of these motors? Can they handle daily driving, in and out stop and go,

3) durabilty of the components on the car, including the leather, carpeting, plastics, climate control, SID system etc. SID loses pixels alot!

4) Real fuel mileage as I have heard wild claims in the low thirties on the freeway to 19mpg...

5) What fuel does best? premium? Midgrade? or even regular? 89 is recomended but it will run on any grade

6) Reliability in day to day usage?

7) problem areas?

8) How good is the automatic transmission? Durable?

9) was this the last of the true SAABS? How much of my car is GM? It's best not to ask that around here :eek:

10) How popular is the hatchback? The salesgirl says she wishes she had 20 of them as they would sell immediately... True?

Thanks for the help. I am hoping I made a wise decision to buy a SAAB.

pete
First off WELCOME!

But do you know another car in it's class that does better??
Hybrids don't even get over 35 :confused:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
1)
Problem in all 9-3's 2000+. Rarer on a 9-3 then a 9-5. Not as common in warmer climes, apparently.

2)
Yes, they are awesome daily drivers. If you do a lot of short trips you should change the oil more freguently. See #1.

3) Climate controls can fail and it can be a costly expense. Kind of rare.

4)
Freeway: 27-34
City: 11-19
Mix: 15-23

8) An AUTO tranny should last the life of the car. 200K+

9) Don't start this conversation. It's 50% GM/50% Saab. A damn fine automobile either way.

10) Pretty popular. The hatchback coupe is very hard to find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts