SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and will be the first to humbly admit that I'm not knowledgeable about Saab, or cars in general for that matter. I am however a Saab owner and huge fan of Saab design, look, and feel.

I own a 1994 Saab 900 SE and have had an ongoing, intermittent no-start problem with it for the last 6 months. I've had the neutral safety switch and battery replaced (april and may of this year). One day I went to start it and while the lights and radio came on, there was no crank or turning over, nothing. I let it sit that day, and the next morning it started. This would continue every couple of weeks, not starting, then starting overnight without the car having moved at all. Eventually it got worse where it would continue to not start until I had tried it so many times the battery died. At this point I could jump it and it would last another 2 or 3 weeks before displaying the same symptoms again.

I have had it to 3 different mechanics including the local Saab dealer. The first, my usual mechanic, thought it was an electrical problem with the anti-theft system but stated he did not have the appropriate means to fix it and suggested taking it to the Saab dealer in town. Next I tried a foreign auto place close to my house that had more Saab experience. He had it for 2 weeks and was unable to duplicate the problem. He basically thought I was nuts and had me pick it up. Of course after being out of town for the weekend, it didn't start the following Monday.

Next I took it to the Saab dealer. Here in Omaha, the Saab dealer if you can call it that, is an afterthought at a Chevrolet dealership and crammed in with the Hummer/Cadillac section. They too had it for a few weeks unable to duplicate the problem. This time, when I went to pick it up, finally it didn't start when they went to drive it out to me. They kept it for the weekend and worked on it the following Monday. On Monday it started!

We went to pick it up and the mechanic that worked on it had to leave town for a funeral so I never talked to him. The invoice said nothing had been done. Upon examining the car, I noticed several fuses laying on the floor.
Apparently they had to do with the anti-theft as my original mechanic had suggested, because now after locking the doors via the driver side lock the alarm now sounds when I unlock the door. I'm guessing the fuse had been pulled originally to prevent this from happening.

I drove it for about 3 weeks and lo and behold the no-start issue happened again today. So now I have a non-starting car that the alarm goes off if I lock the driver side door. I am at a loss.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Sorry for the length of the post, I wanted to be as detailed as possible. If there are any details left out I will try my best to provide them.

Thanks for reading and for any advice you have to offer.

Ryan

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Hi Ryan, welcome to the board.

Is your car a convertible or a hardtop?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Be glad to, good luck with the car and happy saabing.

Cheers!
Matthew

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Well,

I wish I could help you with your troubles; but sadly all I can do is welcome you to the New Generation 900/9-3 forums. ;)

Best of luck; and the majority of the people here are great. Someone will answer who can help I am sure.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you havent already done so, I would just disconnect the alarm system, under the driver's seat. No one pays attention to car alarms these days anyway. I had a similar problem and this resolved it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
hkayssi said:
Hmmmm I'm not sure these schematics are 100% the same for the V6 :cry: but the main ciruitry should be the same.
If you want, I have access to All Data, and shop key (on demand 5) at school, and can look up the schematics later on today or tomorrow if need be.....:cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
gthomp0805 said:
If you haven't already done so, I would just disconnect the alarm system, under the driver's seat. No one pays attention to car alarms these days anyway. Sad but true..;oops: I had a similar problem and this resolved it.
Do you mean to say that all a man has to do is simply disconnect the alarm/immobilizer system to isolate it during the "no-start" diagnosis"..
But the "dealer" did not know this ???? They cannot know everything...
Is this vital bit of information in the WIS ???
And this design could be the same for all GM automobiles...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update...

Finally got it to the recommended indie on this site in my town. Guy was super cool, took the time to listen and I could tell was genuinely interested in getting it figured out unlike everywhere else I had gone. Only thing was a bit of a language barrier, I had a little bit of a hard time understanding what exactly he was trying to say sometimes. If you are in the Omaha area I would definitely recommend taking your Saab to European Motors and see Christopher.

Anywho, he understood I wasn't looking to put a ton of money into this, so he basically told me if I was willing to be patient and wait a bit he'd spend time trying different things here and there when he could fit them in without running up this huge labor bill.

Before this I had also been in contact through someone from this site who had a similar issue that ended up being the ignition switch. The main difference between our problems was when it happened, namely being it happened when cold for him but temp didn't matter on my end.

Christopher came to the conclusion it was the driver side lock becoming worn/going bad. Something about how the anti-theft system was interpreting how the door was being unlocked incorrectly. He was able to start it everytime by first turning the key to the right and re-locking after having already been locked, and then turning it left to unlock. Everytime he did this, it started. When he did not open it this particular way, it would not. If someone could explain this any better I'd appreciate it, again, it was somewhat difficult understanding certain things. I don't know if maybe it has something to do with unlocking it in a certain amount of time after setting the alarm or what.

So, I could go ahead and get that part replaced and start ruling things out, or try this trick. Decided just to pick it up...I've had it back for over a month and it's started every time. He said after the lock, the next logical parts to try would be the ignition switch/positive battery cable, etc.

Crazy stuff.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
interesting my friend had a similar problem where it would just randomly not start up we ended up push starting his car everytime it happened (thankfully manual) and sometimes it would cut out while driving and throw a code

mechanic ended up reparing it for a large sum of money

thankfully you're problem was solved and congrats :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts