SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've always been interested in Saabs but never had the experience with owning one.
I recently found an ad that needed to get rid of his Saab ASAP, he admitted it had issues, but just needed $400.00 for rent.
I figured for $400.00 I'll give it a shot and help the young man pay his rent.
So first thing I noticed is that there was oil everywhere. I didn't even try to start it at first. I just looked at it and said, yep... it's toast!
Towed the thing all the way home, cleaned the spark plugs (They were soaked with oil), and tried to start it. To my surprise, it started! Sort of...
See video attached...
So this it where I am at the mercy of the Saab Gods at this forum.
Since I am new to the Saab world ANY advice is welcome.
I have average ability, swapped out a 1973 Plymouth Duster motor once, but I have a feeling this is a complete different animal.
What is the chirping noise (heard in the video)
I'm assuming the engine is toast, and an engine swap is probably the best way to go?
What year engines can I swap over? Is there a year, or turbo too look for that has higher horsepower?

And all the questions that will follow. I have a feeling I'll be living on this forum for awhile .

Thanks All!!

2007 Saab 9-3 Turbo.

https://youtu.be/Lla8phjRLR0

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you checked the oil level first? The chirping sound seem coming from belt area, belt may be wet or pulley is toasted, when you say park plugs are soaked in oil, do you mean the spark plug well is oily or the plug electrode is wet? You might have a several valve cover gasket leak. engine might still be fine, don't make that determination yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oil is slightly over full. The electrodes were soaked with oil. That's why the car decided to run after we dried them off. It strangely smelled like paint thinner, or some kind of alcohol. I didn't get that either.

Kind of sounds a bit like rod knock like too, although it seemed to calm down.

Is there an engine removal tutorial anywhere?

My shop quoted me $2100.00 with engine and 1 year warranty. That's a good chuck of change, but also not sure I want to tackle this myself.

I know of a backyard mechanic that said he'd do it for $500.00... but?? That's a backyard mechanic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts