SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a test drive today, I still have a few questions I didn't get a satisfactory answer. Since they have no other 9-2x on the lot I couldn't check it out.

- Checking out the engine hood, the obvious thing was there was no plastic cover for the engine. I seen most newer cars after 2000 would have some sort of plastic cover for the engine. I know its purely cosmetic, but I find it odd in a new car. There was no cover for the battery except a red sheath on the positive terminal.

- The demo model I was test driving, had a bit of rough idle in the beginning, but was okay after warmed up. I don't think I should expect this normally though, since I think the demo may be abused.

- The standard stereo with CD player sounds really subpar. I think probably worse than the standard one on Toyota Corrolla. Do you agree or maybe its just that demo?

- With the window open, when closing the front doors the windows rattles a bit, as I can actually flex a bit back and forth (about 1/2 inch) the glass, does it suppose to flex a bit or stay stiff? The seal to the door seems okay though.

Thanks for any advise :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
1. Yes, that's normal. And I can tell you that not EVERY car has a plastic cover. I know VW's do, since their clientel apparently can't be trusted to change their own oil... Personally, I like to pop the hood and see the block. To each their own...

2. That rough idle is just the nature of the H-4 engine. Its a grumbly 4 cylinder.

3. Yes, the stereo system sucks horribly. You will have to spend some $$ on a decent aftermarket getup. The good news is that its relatively easy to change out, and its a standard size (no weird looking plastic brackets to fill a gap).

4. I dunno, I never tried to flex my window glass!

I've had my 5 speed Linear for over a month now and am quite pleased with the car. Granted, it doesn't have the super duper turbo, but I wasn't interested in feeding my car premium for the next 5 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips, it makes since about the engine now that you mention it, I never heard the engine start on a boxer design before.

The thing about the door, it wasn't the glass flexing, but it seems to be the assembly. I really like the frameless doors, but when closing them especially hard, the window would rattle a bit. That's pretty much the only concern but I still trust the workmanship since its a Saab/Subaru.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The window is normal, unfortunately. It's not going to fall apart or anything, just doesn't sound very good. It's actually gotten better since the earlier Subaru frameless windows. The new Legacy's are even better, this is the compliment Jeremy Clarkson payed the Legacy's door closing sound "When you shut the door it makes exactly the same noise as a dead pheasant hitting the ground at 40mph, a sort of muffled, autumnal 'bumph' sound." :lol:

Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool deal... Yeah that's exactly what it sounds like when closing the door when the window is open. But the fit is actually really good when the windows are closed. I'll have to train myself a new habit of closing all windows before closing the doors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts