SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
lost my 1 spare transponder chipped key and thus far have turned up the following info:

Saab dealers in Calgary, Canada are telling me I must give them my VIN, they fax the info to Saab headquarters in Canada, Saab cuts and programs the new key from my VIN info, sends it back to the dealer who sells it to me from anywhere from $130 - $200 Cdn depending on how they feel that day.

On Ebay I found a company called Street Keys who would sell me the key I need for $23 US plus shipping, but, I'll need to have it cut and programmed. They suggest you use their affiliated locksmiths who will do the job for far less than dealers charge, but, unfortunately, they have no affiliates in Canada. What?? Canuks don't lose keys??

Reading through past posts, I noticed someone here used Locks.com in Pennsylvania who clone the keys for $50 US. That's a good deal, but, they need the original to work from. In my case, UPS quoted me $116.57 CDN to fly my 1 remaining key to Pennsylvania and then return the 2 keys to me the next day. Add that to the key cost and I'm back up to $180 Cdn range to get another key. :evil:

Hoping somebody reading this will be able to offer a more reasonably priced solution, beyond not losing my 1 remaining key :roll:

and thanks in advance for any quick help I can receive here :D

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Welcome to the Saabcentral 749009!

We have different forums set up for different model 9-3s. I think you may want the Forum that has more info on the 1994-2002 model 9-3s.
I'll move this thread over into that forum.

Hope you get your key squared away....
-Vis

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can buy integrated remotes on ebay.

First win an auction
Order a key body from the dealer. Mine charged 30 US which included the cutting.

Then you need to have it programmed. Here my dealer did it free of charge. You also need to bring all keys/remotes with you.

nate
99 9-3 vert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nateg said:
You can buy integrated remotes on ebay.

First win an auction
Order a key body from the dealer. Mine charged 30 US which included the cutting.

Then you need to have it programmed. Here my dealer did it free of charge. You also need to bring all keys/remotes with you.

nate
99 9-3 vert
Can you explain, "Order a key body from the dealer"? It would seem that if you win the Ebay auction, you've already got the key and just need to get it cut and programmed.

Nevertheless, I checked with the local Saab dealer here in my city and they refuse to have anything to do with a key blank that I bring in to them. Their response is,
"we are going to do everything in our power to make certain that Saab ownership is a costly and aggravating proposition. You either bend over and let us screw you or you sell your Saab and drive something else or move to a country like the US where there are more reasonable alternatives to what we do here in Canada".

I was hoping perhaps a Canadian, reading this forum, might have run into this issue and managed to solve it with a cheaper dealer alternative solution.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
The main problem you are running into is no dealer will or can cut keys. Period. It has to come from Sweden. I love how they say "UNCUT" on Ebay. Not really a selling point since no one will cut it. I know nothing about this PA outfit.

This is what I did.
I have a 99 9-3. I asked my dealer to order me a key from Sweden (and this next part is muy importante) that WILL FIT IN a 2000+ all-in-one key fob. He flat out told me this was possible.
Crucial here, because if they simply order a 99 key for you it won't fit in the all-in-one fob. Cost $38 or close. Cannot believe the price you were quoted!
:eek:
Call my dealer and see what they would charge you.
216-237-7222 http://www.shakersaab.com They used to have an 800 number but I can't find it.
If it's cheap, I'll pick it up and send it to you. 'Cuz I'm helpfull like that. ;)
Ebay remote I got for $25.
When the key came in, I took them my remote. They put that key inside my ebay remote.
Since I paid for my key, the dealer thought it might be silly to not program it so they programmed the fob for me for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CleveSaab,

I'd like to clarify what you referring to when you say "2000+ all in one key fob". Do you mean the black key head that also contains the door and hatch open and lock buttons? I think that's what Nateg was referring to when he suggested the "integrated remote".

And I don't understand what you mean when you say that the dealership put your key inside your Ebay remote? I'm assuming you don't mean they literally placed your key inside the banana remote.

The key that I lost was just the single black head key with nothing on it but the transponder chip inside. I still have both my banana shaped remotes.
If I could get a new integrated remote key for $38 US that would be great, (or just a replacement for my lost key)but, are you suggesting that your dealer will cut and program the key for free if it's ordered through them? I certainly don't mind supplying them with the VIN and car registration details if that can be done. I could get a much cheaper cross border shipping rate if I allow them to take their time shipping it to me.

Both aftermarket locksmiths that I talked to in the US indicated they could do the job cheaply, but, they needed my original key to program the new key. That is where I run into the huge cross border UPS shipping rates which drives the price up to as high as the Canadian dealers want to charge. Without the key, I can't drive the car so I can't be without it for more than a couple of days and if UPS were to lose my only original key......:roll:

I appreciate your offer to help and it sounds like your dealers are more helpful than mine, but, I'd like to clarify what you are suggesting I do before I call them. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
749009 said:
CleveSaab,
Do you mean the black key head that also contains the door and hatch open and lock buttons? I think that's what Nateg was referring to when he suggested the "integrated remote".
Yes.

And I don't understand what you mean when you say that the dealership put your key inside your Ebay remote? I'm assuming you don't mean they literally placed your key inside the banana remote.
Correct. They ordered a 2001 style replacement key only for me. They put it inside the integrated remote that I bought on Ebay, not the banana.

The key that I lost was just the single black head key with nothing on it but the transponder chip inside. I still have both my banana shaped remotes.
Oh. So you just want the key. That still should only be like $40. I did order a spare one of those too.

If I could get a new integrated remote key for $38 US that would be great, (or just a replacement for my lost key)but, are you suggesting that your dealer will cut and program the key for free if it's ordered through them?
No no no. Only Sweden can cut a key (for the US market) through a dealer. They programmed it for me for free, yes. They ordered a newer style replacement key like the 2001-2002 9-3, which is JUST THE METAL PIECE and it is ALREADY CUT. This went into my Ebay fob, and then was programmed.

Both aftermarket locksmiths that I talked to in the US indicated they could do the job cheaply, but, they needed my original key to program the new key.
The one here I've talked to won't touch a Saab key.
If I can be any more help, let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I apologize for being so dense on this key parts issue, but, I am trying to sort it out.

So, are you suggesting I do this?

1. Contact your dealer and give them my VIN and other relevant car details.

2. They will have Seden cut the metal part of the key.

3. Sweden will ship the metal part to your dealership.

4. Your dealership will attach the metal part to the black head of the key which contains the transponder chip inside.

5. Without having my original key, your dealership can program the new key so that it will operate properly on my car.

6.I'll give your dealership my Visa number and they will send me the new key.

Your dealership will charge me a total of about $40 US plus shipping to Canada for this service. Is this correct?

and thanks for your patience in helping me sort through this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts