SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My high beams will not stay engaged when i pull the stalk towards the steering wheel. I've tried in all three light settings (daytime running, parking, and on). The high beams will come on, and the blue indicator light comes on, but as soon as the stalk is released, the low beams come back on. I've also received a SID alert of front lamp failure a couple times, but from what I can tell, both headlights are still on when I get this message. Does this sound like an 'orange relay' issue that I've heard so much about, or do you think the stalk switch can be bad? The stalk operates the blinkers fine, however I have not checked to see if it operates cruise correctly. I've only had the car 2 days, so I'm still trying to figure things out. If stalk switch is suspected, are there any write-ups to change this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2001 9-3 4dr hatch

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
If I understand correctly, the high beams will not stay on (engaged) if the fog lights are on. This, I think, prevents those nasty headlight duels (who has the most and brightest lights) you sometimes have to resort to while on the road at night.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sounds like it could be the relay, since the stalk doesn't physically stay stuck in highbeam position....

Try picking one up, you can usually find some used ones for under 20 shipped.
I bought my replacement from this guy when mine went. My symptom was that the bulbs and blue icon would not go on at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

This morning I played with the high beams once more, here is what I found:

Left (driver's side high beam intermittently lights up when trying to engage high beams) & Blue H-beam dash indicator light no longer comes on when I pull the stalk switch back. After trying to engage the H-beams several times in a row, this is when I get the front lamp failure on the SID. And as I mentioned earlier, the stalk switch does not stay in place/click to keep the high beams on. Probably the check bulb relay?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Probably Orange relay I think. Occam's razor, simplest option is usually best. Orange relays fail a lot, so that's what I'd place my bet in. And if not, they're cheap so you're not out. Lot of $

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed

Well....it wasn't a relay issue. I replaced the burned out parking light on the passenger's side and also replaced both headlamps with oem 9003/hb2's. high beams come on and stay on and the high beam indicator also comes on. weird how a blown light could prevent the high beam stalk from clicking.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If it was the bulb I'm glad but orange relay failure can be intermittent. If it happens again then u know where to look

·
Registered
321 Posts
If I understand correctly, the high beams will not stay on (engaged) if the fog lights are on. This, I think, prevents those nasty headlight duels (who has the most and brightest lights) you sometimes have to resort to while on the road at night.
Just to add to the general knoledge base, its the other way around. You can leave the fog switch on, and when you flick the stalk for high beams, the fogs go out, without moving the switch.

Terry

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
A new orange relay at the dealer was 150 bucks or something like that. I chose not to buy a used one because I don't buy used electrical parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts