SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey from Brooklyn, Ohio,

My names Andrew and just yesterday I purchased a 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc, 6 Speed, 210 hp 221 tq LK9 Eco engine and I LOVE it!

The car has 166,200 miles and counting. I could have bought any other car, but something about this car appealed to me, I don't know what it was.

I have a bad history with cars and mostly have owned GM j body and n body cars. This car is a dream compared to all the grand am, achieva, cavalier, and sunfire. It's a shame Saab went under, I hope parts aren't hard to find!!

I am married and have a daughter, so me and my wife agreed that I needed to find that one car I was going to keep. After hours of research and test drives, I said this was the vehicle.

This vehicle isn't perfect however, here are the things I would love to hear from you guys about and maybe a step in the right direction for fixing it.

1. The Saab Information System above the radio is not lit up, seems it doesn't work at all. Is it a fuse to check? Wad it unplugged from the dealer? I know the dashboard has an Amber "i" and I hear a chime when I start driving for the first five minutes. If I press clear, it all goes away. I know the stability/traction control emblem comes on before that "i "....

2. When I put load on the car or start entering boost at about 2k or so RPMs, the car will shudder like a misfire, but idle is smooth and quarter throttle acceleration is smooth, until I press the pedal too much. Tune up time, or is it a more serious problem?

3. Could I possibly install HID lights in the foglights and the headlights? It seems the ones in there are a bit dull, not to mention the headlights do not seem to be anywhere near aimed right, the fog lights actually help to see the road at night.

So Saab Central, I want to hit the million miles with this car and I need your help. I also want to learn about this car and all its special problems and such, I've been poisoned with mainstream common cars and want to grow and mature with this Saab.

I hope that was enough of an introduction and I'll try to upload some pictures of the beauty. I won't lie, I did join Saab World first, but it seems they are dead there.....

Attachments

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Andrew, welcome to Saab Central!

If you didn't get an Owners Manual, you can download one here:

http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manual/saab_owner_manuals.html

The "i" on the dash indicates that you need to look at the SID for information. Since it doesn't light, you can't see what it's trying to tell you. It could be anything (see the Owners Manual for a complete list) from low coolant or brake fluid, to something more important.

Since you're near Cleveland, I assume that you have to have the E-checked. Hopefully the dealer certified that the car will pass E-check. So you might want to run by a station just to make sure.

... Ron

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The misfire may be bad coils. A code reader should be able to tell you which cylinder is misfiring and how often. I use Torque for Android with a bluetooth ELM327 adapter. Given the mileage, it may be time for a set of new plugs and coils if no service history is available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As for plugs im assuming that i should just use the regular stock NGK plugs. Im glad the owners manual gives me a part number and the gap!

I searched the forums for the problem im having with my SID, it seems though when anyone has this problem the SID and the radio both go out. My radio works fine, i havent tried the CD player yet though, but im assuming it works if the radio does.

I have noticed that its got to be getting some sort of power, unless im crazy. they say if the SID is dissconnected, youll get a transmission error code...could that possibly be the traction control light that comes on when i start the car right before the "i" ? the only fuse i see for the SID looks to be a 10 AMP in the number 3 spot on the side of the dashboard, i have yet to see if its blown, but i know theres one in there....

if there is anything i want to work on the car, its the SID, too much important stuff is said with that system from what ive read, cant let that not work....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts