SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 9-3 Aero. I have a question about the lights. When I turn the car on the Xenon lights come on, even in the daytime running lights position (off). Are the Xenon lights the daytime running lights? The dealer said they could turn this feature off and when the switch was on off, you would have no lights. He stated then that if you switched to the parking lights position that the Xenon lights would still come on. My question is why, and is there anything to do about it....I would like the lower beam daytime running lights on when in the off position. The parking lights with fog lamp availability in the middle setting and the full compliment of lights when in the on position. Can anybody provide insight? :confused:

Also, does anybody have the issue of the driver side mirror going down when in reverse? I could press the "1" button and the mirror returns to its position, but I am perplexed as to why this is occurring. The dealer said he had never heard that before and to try reprogramming all 3 memory positions. Any thoughts on this? :confused:

Thanks and I hope to discover lots of new infor about Saabs. :D

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Regarding the DRL's your a Lucky Duck if your Dealer is willing to turn them off for you. Do us a favor and find out (after he does it) if he's using the latest Tech II Software?

There's some instructions in the forum for the Tech II procedure to give you lights off, city lights on, Lights off and individual control of fogs...I'll pull them up and come back. But Your dealer sounds like he knows how.

Here ya go and welcome to the Asylum....

In Diagnostic Mode:
Diag>200x(insert year digit for x)>9-3 Sport
Body>Exterior Lighting and Horn
Low beam adjustments.
F0. Auto Low Beam also in Pos 0.
Change setting to NO
6 seconds later,lights flicker and go out. Exit.

Then:
Go to:
Fog Lights Front.
Change to Position 1 & 2 ROW (Rest of World) Program and Exit.

This will give you:

Pos 0 > No Lights
Pos1 > Fogs and 5 Watt Headlamp / Parking Light
Pos3 > Low Beam, High Beam, Manual Control of Fogs.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
You don't, they are the Directions to turn off the DRL's using Tech II. The Dealer has/uses a system called "Tech II" to diagnose, program and manage our engine/computer systems.

G

·
Mr. Sulu said:
He stated then that if you switched to the parking lights position that the Xenon lights would still come on. My question is why, and is there anything to do about it....I would like the lower beam daytime running lights on when in the off position. The parking lights with fog lamp availability in the middle setting and the full compliment of lights when in the on position. Can anybody provide insight? :confused:
When the dealer programmed mine, I was able to use the fog lights without the Xenon lights in the middle light switch position.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Mr. Sulu said:
The dealer said they could turn this feature off and when the switch was on off...
Good luck.

Please understand that the sales dept may say a lot of things the service dept. will refuse to do. You used to be able to deactivate the DRL's and have "normal" headlight switch operation. Technically, this was against Saab safety recommendations. Some dealers would do it for free, others charged a "TechII fee." But it was possible.

All this changed in the past few months when the dealers started receiving updates to their TechII equipment, which is basically $3000 worth of GM/Saab computerized diagnostic tools. The latest updates apparently do not allow deactivation of DRL's, and that has many people in this forum angry! The Tech2 has menu screens, and the menus for doing this are gone.

Also understand the Tech2 is a sophisticated device just like your PC. The menus may just be moved to a place where no one has found them yet. Most Saab techs only learn the Tech2 menus and features they would use every day. There is no formal training, it's all "on-the-job."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts