SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, First post on here - I've had a search around and found some really useful info on here - but nothing which specifically helps me with my problem, so if you can help me out then I'd be most grateful.

I've recently bought a 90' 900 turbo areo S 16v (so its a light pressure turbo - not that it really matters I spose)

Its got a couple of electrical gremlins that I'm keen to sort out before I'm happy with the car.

The main one is that the passenger electric window fails to lower at all. I've noticed a couple of things worht mentioning...

- The interior light dims when I press the switch in the centre console.
- I can hear a really quiet ticking (like a solonoid click) when pressing the button - coming from the door itself.
- After the initial clicking noise, I can hear another, even quieter click, about a couple of seconds (maybe or so..) after.
- I've taken the door junk off, and I can't see anything rusty which may be stopping the motion of the mechanism working.

Right - so I'm thinking that the motor itself is kaput! But I can't see a logical way of removing the door glass to get the motor out as its wedged firmly up, in the top of the window frame channel... Is this a problem, or do I need to somehow lower the window to get it into the 90 degreee - lift out position?

Also, is there any way in removing the electrical terminals on the motor to test it in situ - in case I'm barking up the wrong tree? There is a hell of a lot of flat sheet steel in my way on the door (a testament to this great car's engineering) and I can't see a way of getting at anything without letting my fingers in the way of sharp metal mechanism-y bits...

Any information gratefully received! Thanks for your time!

Matt :lol:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Before taking any motor out (which is what I did) remove the switch from the passanger side and put the driver window switch in. make sure its not the switch. (I did) I removed the window, regulator, and motor and took it to a shop and had it tested. it worked great. picked up some 9000 switches which are perfect and lit green. plugged them in and it worked perfect. The motors usually dont wear out. so try that first then take the motor out if it doesnt. It was about 5 years ago I did the job but I dont remember it being too difficult.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
What often fails on these electric windows is the quadrant - the quarter disc shaped bit of maetal with teeth. These teeth are the ones that mesh with the cog on the motor, often some of the teeth get worn or break off leaving the glass stranded. There are replacement kit available from PFS.

David's idea is sound, you could also get someone to press the switch while you push down with a hand on either face of the glass, that might induce some movement. It could be that the grease has just gone hard over time and the whole mechanism has seized, perhaps liberal application of WD 40 will help.

To remove the glass from the frame you have to undo the two retaining screws in the channel, you can only access these with window lowered some 3 or 4 inches (they appear in those small openings in the metal you spoke of).

Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to the site - the standard joining fee is some pictures of your car!! Strange considering they all look the same but that's the way it is.

·
4,637 Posts
Sometimes, the motor's gearbox grease hardens. You need to dismantle the motor a bit to address this. To get the motor out with the window stuck up, you:

1. Undo the five bolts holding the regulator to the door (there's one near the back edge of the door.
  2. Undo as many of the motor bolts to the regulator as you can reach
  3. Swing the motor off the quadrant so you can lower the window
  4. Now you can disconnect the glass from the regulator and remove the lot

There are just two screws holding the motor to its gearbox. With that off, you can get at the hardened grease in the gearbox.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts