SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a new (to me) '92 900 turbo convertible, but already I'm having some problems. I love this thing, and I'd like to get it working, so I'd love your input -

1) when I drive the car, occassionally (while moving) the engine will begin to hesitate and eventually stall, the shift up light will flash, the check engine light will come on, and I'll lose power steering. Then, sometimes, I can start the car up right away and drive off, while other times it won't want to start at all.

2) Should the turbo boost into the red zone? Right now it goes into the yellow, but it feels like the car almost "hits a wall" in each gear, when the turbo stops boosting and the revs won't want to climb any higher without my shifting up. Is this normal?

3) Not as severe, but the two front windows are very slow, and don't seem to close all the way / meet flush with the top, so I have some water problems around the edges of my windows. Any way to fix this?

Thanks so much!

Tom

·
Registered
424 Posts
The stalling is something for an experienced tech to look into. Might be something as simple as a very dirty fuel filter. It is located above the rear axle on the passenger's side (LH drive models).

My turbos will boost 75% of the way into the yellow, and as the revs increase, the boost tends to taper off a bit. Both are basically stock.

Your window lift mechanisms may need to be cleaned up and lubricated. They get dry and cruddy and accordingly don't like to function as designed.

Try leaving your door open slightly when raising the front glass, the window may go all the way up then. That or lower the rear glass slightly. My door windows will foul on the gasket that is on the leading edge of the rear window glass and not go all the way up.

Neat cars aren't they??

As you drive, you will find the niggling little stuff that the PO ignored. You will get it sorted out and learn about the car at the same time.

Enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
962 Posts
classic900red said:
3) Not as severe, but the two front windows are very slow, and don't seem to close all the way / meet flush with the top, so I have some water problems around the edges of my windows. Any way to fix this?

Thanks so much!

Tom
There are lots of adjustments you can make to realign the windows. This is especially important with verts, since you have the additional problem of a frameless window.

First off, check the bulletins in http://townsendimports.com/Web/body_folder/body_folder_tech_doc.htm

Do remember that one misalignment can result in multiple problems. I had a problem with the window catching the hem of the roof when you slam the door with the windows up. There was also a gap between the front and rear windows when both were up, but only when the roof was up. Turns out that the front window was stopping too high (opposite of your problem), causing not only the hem of the roof to get caught, but the glass to hit the top weather strip too early, thereby causing a gap to appear with the rear window.

Good thing is that once you solve one problem, several symptoms disappear at once!

Try to understand all the different ways you can adjust the windows first, and then apply it to the symptoms you see.

For my problem, all it needed was an adjustment to the height of the rubber stopper which stops the glass from going any higher and it solved both problems. 15 minute job, including removing the door trim, but it took me ages to figure it out.....:eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
jameschong said:
There was also a gap between the front and rear windows when both were up, but only when the roof was up. Turns out that the front window was stopping too high (opposite of your problem), causing not only the hem of the roof to get caught, but the glass to hit the top weather strip too early, thereby causing a gap to appear with the rear window.

Good thing is that once you solve one problem, several symptoms disappear at once!

Try to understand all the different ways you can adjust the windows first, and then apply it to the symptoms you see.

For my problem, all it needed was an adjustment to the height of the rubber stopper which stops the glass from going any higher and it solved both problems. 15 minute job, including removing the door trim, but it took me ages to figure it out.....:eek:

james, i think you just solved my window problems... tks.. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts