SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Just purchased a '99 9-5 wagon for daily driving duties. Original owner, same with a stack of maintenance records and 4 spare keys. Has 217k on the clock with many more to go. Has a full black leather interior and a 5 spd transmission. 2.3t engine. Some plans for the car when I get some cash together are:

New ECU (saw a thread on it here)

New clutch, lightened flywheel, new gear kit and new slave cylinder (basically what Chris 9-5 did in this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114859

And perhaps, a new turbo.

Anyway, onto a couple questions I have. I've never owned a turbo car before, but have heard you're supposed to chill the turbo for ~30 sec before shutting it off after drives longer than 15 min or so. Well, the previous owner stated he's never done that....and the car has 217k on it. I think the turbo may be toast. What do you guys think?

My second question is, how can I actually tell the turbo is still working? Please excuse my ignorance, as this is my first turbo car. I don't hear a "whine" as some people call it comming from the turbo.

Also, is the 4 cyl. engine typically loud when you're accelerating? Sounds kind of like a car with an exhaust leak comming from the engine....not a high pitched engine revving noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and here's some pics!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
welcome:cheesy: and pics on first post:D . great looking car, first job would be to drop the sump. then look at the rest, you only really need to wait before turning off the ignotion if you've been driving it hard. the turbo will be fine, you will know when it's toast trust me;) :cry: . enjoy the car

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i want an aero said:
welcome:cheesy: and pics on first post:D . great looking car, first job would be to drop the sump. then look at the rest, you only really need to wait before turning off the ignotion if you've been driving it hard. the turbo will be fine, you will know when it's toast trust me;) :cry: . enjoy the car
Sorry, another newb question. What exactly is dropping the sump? About how much would this run at a shop?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
sump = oil pan

this is great to do so you can check your oil strainer for blockage: http://www.wulfers.net/auto/repairs/9-5sump/index.html

Took me (reletively inexperienced when it comes to wrenching) about 6 hrs. That inludes up in the air, squeezing out new gasket, and scrubbing out the pan and pick up.

There are several other guides posted here if you search for them. :D

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Nice car, I have almost identical

I have an 01 Wagon, same color, with the V6 engine 90K miles on it. Mines an Auto.

Nice to see another Minnesotan on the boards...

You even have the Cargo cover on yours which the original owners lost on mine.

Sweet ride!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fusionrx said:
I have an 01 Wagon, same color, with the V6 engine 90K miles on it. Mines an Auto.

Nice to see another Minnesotan on the boards...

You even have the Cargo cover on yours which the original owners lost on mine.

Sweet ride!
Thanks! Sounds like you got a nice ride yourself....the car actually came from Wisconsin. It was this guy's father in law who lived in Appleton. He thought the car would sell better in Richfield (where I bought it).

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Who do you plan on using as you mechanic? Given your location, you might be close to Andrews of Princeton, but if you are interested I can provide you with a good indy mechanic in the cities. (Not a dealership).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fusionrx said:
Who do you plan on using as you mechanic? Given your location, you might be close to Andrews of Princeton, but if you are interested I can provide you with a good indy mechanic in the cities. (Not a dealership).
I use a local mechanic right up the street from me called Northdale Automotive. If you'd like to give me the name of the other mechanic, that;d be great, as I like to have many options to get quotes and such from.

Thanks! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts