SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im new here but i'd really appreciate some help. I'm sold on a set of 17" Motegi DP6 wheels, but the bolt pattern didnt quite match up. The wheels are 5x114.3, and the bolt pattern on my 97 900 is 5x110. Would wobble bolts fit? Or could i bore the holes a little to fit the lugs? I already bought a wheel bolt to stud conversion kit and am not looking to spend a bunch more money, any help would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I think 114 is the furthest you can get from 110 with wobble bolts. I think Crispin has 114 on his. Maybe he'll pipe up if around. If the offset is different, you'll need spacers to correct the difference. Crispin has spacers too, so hopefully he'll help out as he knows a lot about this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think 114 is the furthest you can get from 110 with wobble bolts. I think Crispin has 114 on his. Maybe he'll pipe up if around. If the offset is different, you'll need spacers to correct the difference. Crispin has spacers too, so hopefully he'll help out as he knows a lot about this.
thanks, anyone else have ideas? want to put them on this weekend hopefully

·
Registered
666 Posts
Maybe you should've bought rims with the correct bolt pattern??

I'd rather 5x112 with wobble bolts...

This is really a safety issue for you and the other drivers around you. Do you really want to risk it?

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
What is the center bore measurement of the new wheels? Saab wheels are 65.1mm IIRC. If the new wheels aren't 65.1mm, then you will need to find rings that go between the wheels and hubs so the wheels are centered on the hubs before you tighten the wobble bolts.

If it was me, I would only try one wheel to see if it shakes; then two, then four... Ron

·
Registered
18,072 Posts
thanks, anyone else have ideas? want to put them on this weekend hopefully
I have an idea: ship them back and get wheels that fit. You're on your way down a long road of vibration, loose lugs, and other ills.

2mm is all wobble bolts are supposed to handle. Most of us don't even like that idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an idea: ship them back and get wheels that fit. You're on your way down a long road of vibration, loose lugs, and other ills.

2mm is all wobble bolts are supposed to handle. Most of us don't even like that idea.
I would do that, if they werent bought from a friend of a friend. there is nothing wrong with the wheels, he is sellin them super cheap with tires. when we put the wheel on it fit on the hub fine, the bolts just barely didnt match up. And the lug nuts are so flush with the sidewall in the holes that there isnt any room for it to not fit perfectly. what i am wondering is if i made the hole bigger for the lugnut to fit, would it be fine that the studs are toward an edge on each hole toward the hub, instead of being in the middle of each hole.

·
Registered
18,072 Posts
You need to check the size of the center hole with an accurate caliper or get the spec from the manufacturer. Saab wheels are hub centric, not lug nut centric. A little variation will cause vibration problems - we've been down that road here before. Saabs are very, very sensitive to proper balance and centering. That actually works in your favor since if you can get it to fit oin the center, the machining of the lug holes is less critical.

I still wouldn't do it, but it's your car, time, money, and safety.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that i am going with the adapters. Has anyone bought these before? where should i get them for the cheapest price? and what is the exact size for a 97 900 se turbo's hub center and bolt pattern?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
This is the first time I have seen this thread.

Just as Bob has said 2mm is the most you should use wobble bolts.

For our car that would be 5x112. Your 5x114 are too far out for them.

Drilling out the holes is a VERY VERY bad idea and I am glad / hoping that you re no longer considering that option.

Yes I am running spacer / adapters. I adapted my car from the 5x110 to the much more common 5x100.

Many people have had problems with the adapters cracking, I have not.

Adapters are 25mm thick. You have to take that off your offset of the wheel which I do not see that you have mentioned what that is.

Pushing the wheels out will (did) cause problems for the rear tires. I had to rent a fender roller and roll out the rear fenders. That often (did for me) causes the paint to crack off around the wheel wheel.

So the bottom line is this, get the right wheels as they will likely cost the same in the end and be a lot less work as well as won't damage your car / paint.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
18,072 Posts
How about selling those wheels to someone with a Japanese car and buying a set of Saab wheels that fit?

Would cost you less in a lot of ways in the long run.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Since everyone is saying it won't work, find out what common ricers run that lug and offset, sell them locally, (keep the tires if any good) then look at tirerack.com. Tire rack sells a BUNCH of brand name (from BBS to Motegi) 17" and 18" rims that fit our cars 100% (might be more options for a Cobalt SS as bolt pattern and offset is identical to ours) at EXCELLENT prices. Try plugging in a 2000 Viggen as it'll pull up 17" instead of the 16" on SE. You can find some really nice (and lightweight ;)) patterns for $400-600. Might even be able to get under $400 if something is on sale. I wish I'd gone that route personally before shelling out nearly $600 total for my BBS RK511 (RK2) to ship out and painstakingly refinish as I could have gotten a VERY nice set of new 16-17 pounders each :cry: instead of 25 pounds each.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts