SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...my A4 recently hit 130,000 miles (it's a 2003) and I've been pouring money into it. I need to get out, and want to buy something new so I can have a warranty again (which will be a nice change). My budget is somewhat constrained, however, so i've been looking for deals. I've got it narrowed down to a 2007 9-3 (which after my GMS discount and incentives I can get for around $24k) or a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe (again, around $24k). The longer warranty of the Saab really appeals to me, but everywhere I go people point, moan and warn me to beware the curse of Saab's horrible reliability. I've been trying to do as much research as possible before pestering people here, but I can't find much on how good/bad 2007 9-3s are. Can I expect better reliability than an A4? Are there any common "gotchas"? (like the Audi oil sludge, coil packs, etc.) Also, does anyone happen to know what Saab/GM charges for an extended warranty? Sorry, and thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I'd say go for the Saab, afterall, that is why I'm here.
Pulled the trigger on an 07 9-3. I drive an 03 A4 on occassion and I like the Saab better.
Look for a Saab loaner car from the dealer, you will get a better deal than GMS. I get GMS and couldn't get near the price the dealer gave us. Typically the loaners have a couple thousand miles on them, the warranty starts when that car went into service.
I haven't looked into the extended warranty, but you get GMS on that, and you will get the usual paper work in the mail asking for you to enroll.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Its 2007, there's maybe a 5% difference in reliability between the best and worst cars on the market, meaning all cars are considered reliable nowadays. Go for the Saab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
the Saab is not nearly as comfortable as the A4, but is much more fun (the turbo on the A4 is weak) to drive....imo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
If you are comparing reliability between the Nissan and the Saab, the Nissan might win. But Saab and Audi are pretty much on par. European cars in general can be difficult. They tend to be luxury cars, which means more toys, which means more things to break. The Altama, although a smart looking car, has less toys to break. The question is do you stay european and enjoy the extras with the chance on them breaking or go Japanese and learn to live with less comfort features? I'm about a year away from a replacement and wrestle with this debate daily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Ahhhh... I was in the same dilema back in February when I purchased my SAAB. The A4 is a better handling car, better brakes, and feels little more solid than the SAAB and have overall better interior, the only thing that lags is the weak turbo. The SAAB has better acceleration but losses out on cheap interiors, cheap plastics, etc.. But the warranty is definitely better in the SAAB. So it is a trade off between the two, do you want to go with a better acceleration and warranty Vs. a better handling better interior car. You decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jayarekay338 said:
If you are comparing reliability between the Nissan and the Saab, the Nissan might win. But Saab and Audi are pretty much on par. European cars in general can be difficult. They tend to be luxury cars, which means more toys, which means more things to break. The Altama, although a smart looking car, has less toys to break. The question is do you stay european and enjoy the extras with the chance on them breaking or go Japanese and learn to live with less comfort features? I'm about a year away from a replacement and wrestle with this debate daily.
Actually, dollars vs. dollars, the Nissan has a lot more "toys" than the Saab. It has its premium package (moonroof, Bluetooth, XM, dual climate controls, 8-way heated leather seats, push button ignition, etc.). That's assuming I went with a Base 9-3 which would put it right about the same money (maybe a thousand or so less).

I'm actually kind of disappointed to hear that people think the 9-3 has worse handling and a cheaper feel than the A4. I drove a 9-3 in the spring and found it to be quite nice, but admittedly I was in it for about 10 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Highnndry said:
Ahhhh... I was in the same dilema back in February when I purchased my SAAB. The A4 is a better handling car, better brakes, and feels little more solid than the SAAB and have overall better interior, the only thing that lags is the weak turbo. The SAAB has better acceleration but losses out on cheap interiors, cheap plastics, etc.. But the warranty is definitely better in the SAAB. So it is a trade off between the two, do you want to go with a better acceleration and warranty Vs. a better handling better interior car. You decide.
Also, do you want to drive a car a little bit more unique or join the masses driving bmws, vws and audi's? For me my Swedish ancestory also made the decision a mute point.:D I also think that a lot of the earlier bugs have been worked out from the initial 2003 model year when the present design was introduced. As far as handling, my Aero with sport suspension is the best handling car I have ever driven. Not sure about the base models though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I think the Saab is officially out-I've had the local dealer searching everywhere for a 2.0 with a 6-speed and the premium sound system option. According to him, there aren't any left, nor are there any 60th Anniversary editions left. The one thing I'm not willing to give up is the stereo (I drive an hour to work each way and I need to have a good sound system). Oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
sm0kescreen said:
Well, I think the Saab is officially out-I've had the local dealer searching everywhere for a 2.0 with a 6-speed and the premium sound system option. According to him, there aren't any left, nor are there any 60th Anniversary editions left. The one thing I'm not willing to give up is the stereo (I drive an hour to work each way and I need to have a good sound system). Oh well.
The only stock stereo I liked was in a VW Passat, I think its their premium sound system which they charge over a grand. Other than that you pretty much have to redo your sound system in every car, however, SAAB doesn't make that easy to work with. If you get the 13 speaker system than it is easy to upgrade, just add an amp and a sub woofer with a line-out from their 6 X 9, under $300.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Highnndry said:
The only stock stereo I liked was in a VW Passat, I think its their premium sound system which they charge over a grand. Other than that you pretty much have to redo your sound system in every car, however, SAAB doesn't make that easy to work with. If you get the 13 speaker system than it is easy to upgrade, just add an amp and a sub woofer with a line-out from their 6 X 9, under $300.
That's the problem-I can't get the 13 speaker system (or whatever the "premium" sound system option is). I'd have to get the standard one. Is that one difficult to upgrade?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
sm0kescreen said:
That's the problem-I can't get the 13 speaker system (or whatever the "premium" sound system option is). I'd have to get the standard one. Is that one difficult to upgrade?
I believe the new ones you have to get the line-out from the front door speakers, just a little bit of hassle but do-able.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top