SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi fellow 9-5er's,

Found some new ADJUSTABLE plumb back BOV you may be interested in specifically designed to replace plastic bosch type BOV:

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/bov_kompact.htm

What is the current port diamter of the standard bosch BOV? 20 or 25mm?

(P.S. can't download the fitting instructions, maybe they have a problem with their website at the moment. I sent them an email to let them know)

Cheers:cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Is that a recirculating valve? :confused:

If not it cant be used on the 9-5 :cry:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Looks like the first one might work, it looks to be sealed where the others have a "trumpet" design to expell air.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, the first one is a plumb back one (recirculating valve), as u can tell buy having no "trumpet" as Kermit said. And all of them are instantly adjustable by hand by turning to top part of the BOV one way or the other.

I did a search on google to find more info about it and read on another forum that a person has used the 3rd BOV in the picture (dual port), successfully in an audi 1.8T. It can be adjusted to recirculate some air back to the intake and the rest to the atmosphere. I think the setting they had was 50/50. Some said that u can maybe got to 60% vent to atmosphere but if u go anymore it will affect the ECU.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Yes, but that's not a Trionic 7, now is it. Unless you want to be our lab rat? :cheesy:

I'll see if I can figure out whether it's 20mm or 25mm. Have to take off my BOV to check for a split diaphram anyway. Is it the inside diameter or the outside? Metric is outside I think? :confused:

As for noise, if you want to hear your BOV get an open element filter. It's plenty loud that way and won't mess with the ecu. ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Yes, but that's not a Trionic 7, now is it. Unless you want to be our lab rat? :cheesy:

As for noise, if you want to hear your BOV get an open element filter. It's plenty loud that way and won't mess with the ecu. ;)
Both very good points Raven ;)

X

·
0 Posts
I wouldnt touch an adjustable bov on my car :confused: Dont play with the T7, it will get upset :nono;

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah but wouldn't it be better considering that it can be adjusted to suit your car. Especially after each time after mods have been added to the engine be it ECU, intake, exhaust, etc

(25mm, cheers Raven.)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got a reply back from Turbosmart regarding their dual port BOV. The amount of air that vents back to the intake and amosphere are fixed and set for optimum levels. He's said that its be designed as a direct replacement for the bosch BOV. Since it can't be adjusted maybe its better to go for the plumb back version, but I do believe the dual port one does come with a seal to block off the trumpet and make its completely plumb back, incase T7 isn't to friendly with dual port mode ;) .

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I did some poking around the internet on this issue. Venting air the atomsphere on a AFM car isn't in itself bad. Actually it makes for really wicked popping noises when you lift and it runs rich for a moment. The problems that are attributed to these bovs is usually caused by the valve opening when it shouldn't at idle and low throttle angle. If it's open at idle then unmetered air can get into the engine causing the engine to run lean. Rich isn't too bad, but lean is never good. So if you do this you have to make sure the valve is sprung heavily enough so that it stays closed at idle and low throttle angles.

However, this is the theory with other ECU's, it's possible the T7 may still have a fit even with a heavily sprung BOV. I still think you should get an open element filter, it's cheaper and will give you cool induction noises as well.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
all theories aside.. this will not work on a t7.. no matter how much u try to adjust the valve to make the air flow change, it has been tried on a 9-3 t7 before and just resulted in tons of codes poppin.... just save your money buy a forge, and get an open element intake. done and done

X

·
0 Posts
ricot83 said:
all theories aside.. this will not work on a t7.. no matter how much u try to adjust the valve to make the air flow change, it has been tried on a 9-3 t7 before and just resulted in tons of codes poppin.... just save your money buy a forge, and get an open element intake. done and done

Wise words Ricot I concur fully :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts