SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had the garage fit the following to my 'vert -
New Garrett Turbo, used (but clean) intercooler, new catalytic converter, new O2 sensors and numerous gaskets and the #6 PCV kit after it all went south!

Do I need to "run-in" the new turbo?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
No - but did the garage find out how the turbo failed in the first place? - did they drop the pan to check the oilpickup strainer, did they clean out the oil supply and return lines? - if not you may be doing the same repair again soon;oops:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I got the garage to specifically drop the pan, and check the strainer, pick up tubes and pan itself. No real mess down there, so I guess the turbo failure must have been "just one of those things!"

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'd be worried unless I knew the actual cause of failure - they don't just fail for no reason - oil starvation due to blocked supply and drain lines on the turbo itself or dire neglect due to inadequate oil quality or neglected servicing - did they check and flush the oil feed and supply lines in the turbo?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
circuitman said:
...the turbo failure must have been "just one of those things!"
I agree with the post above. Turbo failure, especially one so catastrophic it requires a new IC and a new cat is indicative of something being wrong. Think of it like the canary in the coal mine. Turbo failure is usually a good predictor of other problems, because it is a lot more sensitive to oil and/or cooling problems than the engine.

Other places to look is the timing chain tensioner (the extension indicates wear in the chain and chain guides), under the valve cover, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just picked her up from the garage, and running as sweet as a nut!

I think the garage might have just recommended that a new cat and IC to be fitted, as they were coated in oil.

I'm not too sure what relevance the timing chain would have on wrecking the turbo tho'

I asked about the pick up tubes, and they cleaned these out but found nothing wrong. Oil pressure to shot turbo was good, and why the thing was puffing blue smoke like billy!

I looked over the old turbo, and the bearings have given up, and the vanes have then destroyed themselves against the casing.

They said the sump was fairly clean, and strainer was not clogged up. Fully fitted synthetic 5W40 and hopefully soem stress free motoring from now on.

Back in the land of the windswept and smiling with the roof down!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The relevance of the timing chain is that it is an indication of metal wear in the engine overall. Chains don't stretch (in the the common understanding of metal changing it's dimension) but wear in the links extends the overall length of the chain. I think they may have been a bit over zealous making you change the IC - it's easy to flush out and every IC is coated in oil to a greater or lesser extent as the turbo bearings are not oil tight even when new. Then again if the turbo has totaled itself and sent bits of metal into the intake it's likely they will be stuck in the IC. Main thing is - it's now working!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts