SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my wife's 91 9000cd (N/A) around every now and then, I decided to get myself a 92 9000 Aero turbo with 232K on the clock. It came with a 2" stack of service records and it seems the guy was as anal as I am...but he had ALL the work done at the dealer and sometimes IMHO they saw him coming. $65.00 for a 3rd brake light bulb, that sort of thing.

Anyway, here's what I've got to work out..

Pass. rear door won't open (lock solenoid inop.)
Pass front window inop. (probably the regulator/no sound at all.)
Some inop dash lights (ACC, heated seat switch, pictogram, left turn indicator)
Dvr. heated seat inop.
Key doesn't unlock dr. side door (central locking works, though)
Turbo gauge inop (typical "stuck in the middle" position.)
Pass headlight wiper inop.
Minor exhaust leak.

Interesting thing...the TCS, ABS and SRS lights are all on but the car drives perfectly. I had to drive it home yesterday (150 miles) and put another 55 miles today without a single complaint. No "limp-home", hard brake pedal, anything. SO I'm inclined to think he did the conversion away from the TCS stuff but ignored the lights. Maybe I'll call him and ask.

So far, that's all I've noticed. Can you guys recommend any shortcuts for the stuff that needs to be addressed? ESPECIALLY with getting to the lock solenoid on a door that won't open?

Thanks in advance. I'll post pix as soon as I get some of this work done.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If its the lock solenoid that is inoperative in your rear door, then you can unlock it from the inside and then open it. Take the door panel off and the solenoid is held on by about 2 screws.

The boost gauge sounds like a vacuum hose has come off or broken. Check all the vacuum hoses under the bonnet as if its off it will stop your dump valve operating and also confuse the fueling. (won't know what boost you have)

The drivers door lock sounds like the small metal tab that blocks the hole is bent. If the key will not fit into the lock, lever off the metal disc covering the keyhole. Behind that is a rubber cover and a pivoting metal tab. That tab bends preventing you from inserting the key. I've removed mine and not had any problems since.

Simon

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CLICHE: I should probably describe it as a hatchback, then. My wife's car has a trunk, this one doesn't and I didn't know what else to call it.

SNOBLE80: I can't unlock the door from the inside. It's locked shut. Can I still get the panel off with the door closed? As far as the key's concerned, it goes in fully on the driver side...it just doesn't unlock the door. Works fine on the passenger side, though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
yea aero def in on a 1992. over here came out on a k plate.......

as above with the rear door solinoid... i have one to do as wel!!!

come get the pics up!.......

ooopss i cant talk...;oops:

·
Registered
177 Posts
You could swap a working heated seat switch from your wife's car. It might solve the light problem. Is it the same switch for the faulty heated seat?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The door solenoids should not be a problem if you can get the panel off enough at the top to manually unlock the door using the rods inside.

I had the problem where my lock lever (whatver it's called) on the inside broke off the pivot point and wouldn't unlock the door. You should be able to pull in the correct direction on the little bar to get the door to unlock.

It's possible that the lock became frozen either by water or some other mechanical failure/wear and then wore out the solenoid. However, if you can't unlock it from the inside, I'd say the rods are probably out of place with the locking mechanism.

As for the driver's side door, the only thing I can think of, is maybe something with the rods are messed up, if the central locking doesn't unlock the door. I'm not sure if the key-lock is mechanically linked to the door lock. Never had to take apart the front door panels.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
the capitan said:
yea aero def in on a 1992. over here came out on a k plate.......

as above with the rear door solinoid... i have one to do as wel!!!

come get the pics up!.......

ooopss i cant talk...;oops:
Across the pond yes. Over here the Aero was not available until 93 I believe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The story thus far...

Turbo gauge fixed (the vacuum hose from the intake was snapped in the middle.)
Exhaust leak sealed (my handy home welder took care of that)
Dash lights (a matter of bulb replacements, once I got the dash top off...easy fix)

I'l probably deal with the rest of the stuff this week as I get time. Pix on the way! Thanks, guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts