SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Im really new to this whole Saab thing, ive owned my 95 900 SE for a couple months now and i love everything about it.
I really want to learn more about Saab's but i dont really know where to start.

Anyone willing to help out?:lol:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, for starters, your on the wrong forum for the car you have. This one is for the "classic 900" which ended production in '94 (for the vert) and earlyer for the others. You need the NG900 forums.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The most frequent error.
IMO, the most common mistake is no or poor maintenance...all vehicles need this, not only Saab.
Another problem is parts throwing...when something goes wrong, one must know how and why....and Saab is not pregnant here either.
Maybe pickup a Haynes manual on CraigsList ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats one thing i was wondering. I had a feeling i was in the wrong place for my car.
I can assume that NG stands for new generation. simple enough.
also what is a Haynes manual?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Haynes manuals are great things to have. If you cannot get your hands on factory repair manuals, such as those used by the dealer mechanics, a Haynes manual is the next best thing in order to maintain your vehicle. I've only looked at a few (for my old Triumphs) but these all were good as a guide for a complete vehicle rebuild - in some cases even better than the factory guides as they tend to have more pictures.

What you need is this one, found on the UK Haynes site as the US site offerings is limited:
http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...10001&storeId=10001&productId=13143&langId=-1
On the bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAAB-900-HA...0301643232?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item5d33d655e0

I need to find one for my 9-3 now that I think about it...

·
Registered
606 Posts
welcome to this fine forum for starters. everyone is very helpful and if you have any questions there are a few "saab gods" around here that will most likely have your answer. the search function isnt the best so i usually use google and just add saab at the end of it and it usually brings me back here lol. first off like mentioned before, maintenance is a big issue on these cars. you have a t5 engine management system if you are turbo charged. if not i dont quite remember the system name but youll have a distributor instead of direct ignition. i would make sure you run full synthetic oil, i use mobil 1 10w40 in my car and get 5 quarts for about 27$ at walmart. another thing is your suspension is probably shot if it hasnt been touched in a little while and replacing/upgrading the suspension is a must have in these cars. tell us a little more about your car or what you know about it and im sure someone can get you started down a path you want to go. good luck!;ol;

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
thats one thing i was wondering. I had a feeling i was in the wrong place for my car.
I can assume that NG stands for new generation. simple enough.

Thanks for the help!
The Haynes Manual is the repair manual. It will tell you about basic maintenance as well as more advanced work if you're up for it. There's a place that sells them for a good price - if you use the advanced search with my user name and "manual" in the title of the post you will find a pointer to a US seller with good prices and fast shipping.

If you don't have a basic owner's manual, then Ebay is your best choice.

What motor do you have? How many miles on the car? We can make maintenance suggestions if you tell us more.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Or rather than get Haynes Manual (I don't have one) Check out Dips site http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/.
There are other sites like this as well.

Just hang around and read as much as you can. Within in 12 months you will know everything about your car and how to fix it

There is some very knowledgeable people on this site ready to answer your questions.

Or some just make smart remarks (that's my department):lol: .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THanks to everyone for their help. I get anxious when i think something is wrong with my car (even though it might not be that serious) I STILL FREAK OUT haha.

As far as information about the car i dont know much about it or the previous owner. Im almost positive the struts are new. I believe the engine is the turbo 2.0 4 cyl. It drives better than any car ive ever driven, from the 90's anyway. right now the only thing bugging me is the gap between the front windows and the seal on the rear windows, which apparently is not a rare issue, and the convertible top.

If there is anything i should keep an eye out for DO NOT HESITATE to let me know!
Once again thank you all, i feel better already :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Concerning the windows on the front doors, i learned that if I raise the windows when the door is open or the top is down, the window will go too high and not seal properly. Try lowering the windows a little and see if they seal better

1 - 12 of 12 Posts