SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
r

I recently bought a 1997 saab 900 se talladega with some issues. I got a good deal on it but it needs some repairs, although it is drivable. I would appreciate any advise or suggestions on how to fix these problems.

Here are some issues I know about:

1) fuel gauge always displays empty even when car is full of gas.

2) After a week of driving something changed with the power of the car. The turbo does not kick in when in first gear and only in high rpms in second gear. When it kicks in it does not seem like its getting full boost.

3) Car grinds when shifting into second gear only. Every other gear is fine.

sorry for all the questions and thanks ahead of time.

David

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
romberg2 said:
The fuel gauge depends on a float sensor which is part of the fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank. If the fuel pump was replaced, and the assembly was not oriented according to the registration marks on the rim, the sensor will not move freely. It could also be disconnected at the connector by the inspection cover under the rear seat, a wire could be broken etc... not hard to troubleshoot with a multi meter (the resistance range is in the Haynes manual if you happen to have one), but may not be so easy to fix.

romberg2 said:
2) After a week of driving something changed with the power of the car. The turbo does not kick in when in first gear and only in high rpms in second gear. When it kicks in it does not seem like its getting full boost.
The controls for the turbo are designed to provide reduced boost in 2nd, and even less in 1st gear (unless the car has been modified). When the ECU is reset, for example by disconnecting the battery for a minute or more, it takes a few runs on WOT before the ECU "re-adapts". Until then you are running on default settings. Less likely, but possible, the boost pressure control valve (BPC) may need cleaning.

romberg2 said:
The shift linkage may need alignment, possibly (but not likely) the synchros are shot.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
romberg2 said:
r

I recently bought a 1997 Saab 900 se Talladega with some issues. I got a good deal on it but it needs some repairs, although it is drivable. I would appreciate any advise or suggestions on how to fix these problems.

Here are some issues I know about:

Using your Haynes manual(its in the mail ???) Read the resistance at the sender(remove the access above the Tank).Gray/white and yellow/white wires connect to the terminals..
Try this on a full tank; then on a half tank.
Has the fuel pump been replaced ?? The sender and pump are integrated..

2) After a week of driving something changed with the power of the car. The turbo does not kick in when in first gear and only in high RPMs in second gear. When it kicks in it does not seem like its getting full boost.
Do the annual service on the vacuum hoses; then go to the BCV(boost control valve)....Check your manual; it seems to be right from your statements...at least partially right...

Before we panic and groan-fully utter "transmission "..
Check the clutch cable for proper free play
Check the transmission control for excessive play due to wear and tear and of course check the mounts..

sorry Please do not be, mechanics and DIYs:cheesy: need the work.... for all the questions and thanks ahead of time.

David
Funny how common these maladies seem to be.......similar to another vehicle a while back.........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the quick responses!:D

I will order some new vacum hoses from genuinesaab...

As far as the boost control valve, what do I need to do to check if this is causing a problem. Is this part easily replaceable?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still waiting for my new hoses and other parts... I will be checking the bcv soon as well. Do guys think it would be worth paying the $90 plus tax, the dealership wants to charge to do a head to toe inspection to isolate the problems for me. Since this is a used car, it could result in some preventitive measures that could be usefull. Any opinions?

·
Registered
803 Posts
romberg2 said:
I'm still waiting for my new hoses and other parts... I will be checking the bcv soon as well. Do guys think it would be worth paying the $90 plus tax, the dealership wants to charge to do a head to toe inspection to isolate the problems for me. Since this is a used car, it could result in some preventitive measures that could be usefull. Any opinions?
That depends on what "head to toe" means. If they're just going to scan for codes I'd say, "no". You can get this done for free at one of your local auto parts stores.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
As you just got the car, I would say yes to the inspection. A 1 time once over like this is good to get a "real" feel for the state of the car before you dive in. just be sure the dealer is reputable and knows what they are talking about ;) As tim points out, some dealers will just scan the OBD II and call it a day...

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
My vote on the turbo issue is as follows.

Just under but still attached to the turbo is a small tuna fish can looking thing. It also looks like a very small beer keg. This is the wastegate. It has a small rod comming out of it, with connects to a flapper arm on the turbo. If this come disconnected the flapper will default open, and all the exhaust that normally spins the turbo will bypass and go right down the exhaust. Small clips are the normal part to hold i together, but a paperclip does the job too.:lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
still have to check the wastegate but today I started replacing vacum hoses. So far they look like they are worn but I'm not sure its the vacum hoses. I tried disconnecting the bcv and the car felt the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so saabcentral member BluAero93 was kind enough to get together with me and check out my car. He drove it around and concluded that there is most likely nothing wrong with the boost. He also noted that the tranny might need work :eek:. I'm not looking foward to that repair.

As far as the boost issue, is it possible that driving it around so much just made me think that it was getting slugish because I was getting used to driving it?:confused: I was almost sure that it was faster before, and I did install a open air intake, replaced the vacum hoses and upgraded to a forge bov within the last week and a half. Anyway I guess I just need more power ;) Just ordered a MBC+A from smart performance.

Thanks for all those that helped out, especially BluAero93.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts