SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been around since I have been saabless and of course hate this version, but I will ge used ot it if I have to. I need to know afew things ad have a few comments.

1. How do you search in a forum or in a thread?. I may be just blind or stupid, so let me see the light or educate me
2. Why do profiles on threads no longer indicate the car poster owns, kinda important (year model)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I have not been around since I have been saabless and of course hate this version, but I will ge used ot it if I have to. I need to know afew things ad have a few comments.

1. How do you search in a forum or in a thread?. I may be just blind or stupid, so let me see the light or educate me
2. Why do profiles on threads no longer indicate the car poster owns, kinda important (year model)
You should post this type of question/feedback to the Community Help Forum.

As far as I know, the answer to 1. is "something awesome is coming Real Soon Now". Not sure about 2. but yes it's a problem.

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
"astie problem"?

For searching at this point, use google directly and add this into the search box: "site:saabcentral.com". It also helps if you enter a key to the forum name like "NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop". You can add in a user name.

So if I want to find a post by me that I know had the phrase "direct igntion" in it for this forum, I'd put this into the Google search box: site:saabcentral.com "direct ignition" bobsaabit "NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop"

Note that a phrase needs quotes. A single search word does not. You can also exclude things with the - sign in front of them... e.g. if I want the same search as above but I don't want any pages that are discussing the V6 motor, I could change the above to: site:saabcentral.com "direct ignition" bobsaabit "NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop" -V6 -"six cyl"

There's no way to search on a date range though like "last three months" as there was with the old forum search.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yes, but you can't refine by board or time... it's just a string search across the whole universe. Not that you can do these things with google, but Booleans etc. with google are well understood at this point. :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes, but you can't refine by board or time... it's just a string search across the whole universe. Not that you can do these things with google, but Booleans etc. with google are well understood at this point. :)
Well, Boolean it is then. :)

I haven't tried to search since the forum changed but I know that some forum's search boxes use Google search but restricted to the forum content.

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
You can with Google, though... just click Tools and select a date range.
Can be useful, but not really with this forum due to the way pages are "updated". Try it out... you'll get lots of pages that haven't been changed in a years when you specify "last month".

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
Am I missing something? I can see a search box with Search Community on it at the top of the page.
Actually, I did a little testing and you can use the negative (exclusion) terms in the search box in this new format. As noted, you can't really restrict it to a specific forum... but that isn't as effective as desired even with Google. They have the names of forums on the right panel under "Explore Our Forums " and that gets picked up by Google.

Note that quoted strings still don't work here e.g. "broken axle". Searching for that here will get you any page with "broken" OR "axle" not pages with "broken axle".

Google was a must previously since the old Advanced Search tool didn't have much power in the key word/phrase area. It also would not allow three letter search terms (e.g. "DIC") and didn't support quoted strings either which forced you to Google. It did have very useful date searching / thread starter / title or body features.

·
Registered
16,841 Posts
Still no profile though... you can't even find out what country someone is from based on my clicking.
I do miss the old version. It was the last website i use that looked like the internet from my childhood :(
You can always visit Saabnet. It looks like Compserve and is even more poorly structured.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Still no profile though... you can't even find out what country someone is from based on my clicking.

You can always visit Saabnet. It looks like Compserve and is even more poorly structured.
Needs the profile. Vehicle type and location are very important when asking for help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts