SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (16 days ago) bought a new 2005 9-3 Linear 5 speed. And from test drive to in my driveway, I fell in love. :cheesy: I went from a heavily moded VW Jetta, to this. Im hearing this and that, but I thought that VW parts were hard to come by. I love the sound of the turbo, and I love speed. Any info that anyone has for me i would love. I would prefer to deal with US sites, but hell ill do anything to get that turbo louder and to get some more power. Thanks.:p

·
Registered
609 Posts
Welcome fellow Pittsburgher!

Well you've come to the right place for advice. Here's the deal...

For speed get a Stage 1 BSR PPC. Easy to do. By far the best price is to get it from the sponser site, Parts for Saabs. It's about $800 shipped (depends on the current exchange rate) from across the pond. On your Linear that will take you to 204 horsepower in a few minutes. There is always the Stage 3 kit, but that involves changing out parts and is quite a bit pricier.

For more turbo sound, you should add a cold air intake. There are several different routes you can go on this. Some people have been making their own and there are a few out there you can buy right off the shelf. Search the performance forum to read a lot about this. There are some mixed opinions on it's performance benefits, but I think everyone agrees that it gives you a lot more sound on the intake side.

I would also throw some rims with some nice rubber on that baby. It really helps with the handling IMO and will help you put that additional PPC power to the pavement. Good luck with everything and keep us updated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pittsburgh!!!

Its good to hear from someone in the area. Everyone I have been talking to is from the other side of the country or accross the pond. Good information, thats the direction I was planning on going. Another thing that I have been hearing is to remove the silencer on the intake. Pros/Cons?? How to?? I would like some info on that, and where to go for a good, sturdy, direct-fit intake. Everywhere I go, and everyone I have looked at, isnt for a 2005 Linear. Just want some veteran advice, so i dont end up buying 3 of them before im happy!! As always thanks for any time you put into helping a fellow Saab nut out....:cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another quick side note/question......Go for the intake, or opt for the cheaper panel filter. Pros/Cons, same gains or losses, and will i get the same increase in the sound of the turbo lettin off some presure?:eek:

·
Registered
563 Posts
while BSR offers the best bang for buck' you should be aware that BSR's PPC doesn't seem to be without its problems.. :roll:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what ive been hearing and im not happy with that. Im goin to do the catback soon, and then im goin to worry about the PPC. I have a JR panel filter in there for now, soon moding to CAI.

·
Banned
975 Posts
Bladey said:
while BSR offers the best bang for buck' you should be aware that BSR's PPC doesn't seem to be without its problems.. :roll:
The stock ECU isn't without it's problems. The PPC is software, all software has glitches. There will always be problems, and there will always be people complaining about those problems. You'll never know about the PPC untill you try it for yourself!

BTW: Welcome to the state of independance :D

·
Registered
563 Posts
soggy said:
The stock ECU isn't without it's problems. The PPC is software, all software has glitches. There will always be problems, and there will always be people complaining about those problems. You'll never know about the PPC untill you try it for yourself!

BTW: Welcome to the state of independance :D
easy there! I'm just stating facts! Of course ppc is software. but everytime you upload new software you take a chance. Just like if you flash the BIOS on a computer or other bit of hardware.

I have alot of time for the ppc.. still considering it myself. Just making someone else aware that there are people here that HAVE had problems with it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would like to say that.. 'at no point am I trying to product bash BSR's service or products. I have no problem or anything with BSR and would still very much consider buying a PPC for myself in the very near future. If I have offended anyone by just pointing out that 'some' people 'have' had problems with it, then i am sorry for that too. It was never my intention. It was simply to try and point people to users that have had problems (that may or may not be ppc related) and for them to be aware of this. As this, I feel is the duty of all users to this site.'

regards

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bladey said:
I would like to say that.. 'at no point am I trying to product bash BSR's service or products. I have no problem or anything with BSR and would still very much consider buying a PPC for myself in the very near future. If I have offended anyone by just pointing out that 'some' people 'have' had problems with it, then i am sorry for that too. It was never my intention. It was simply to try and point people to users that have had problems (that may or may not be ppc related) and for them to be aware of this. As this, I feel is the duty of all users to this site.'

regards
Your opinion it's not a problem with me body!;)

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Bladey said:
If I have offended anyone by just pointing out that 'some' people 'have' had problems with it, then i am sorry for that too. It was never my intention.
I've had the PPC unit for only a few weeks. So far, I've tuned, reverted, and tuned again without incident. The last time I tuned was in a liquor store parking lot on the drive home from the Saab dealer.

I think you have to be careful when using the PPC, just like when installing applications on a PC. Ya know how some people always seem to have trouble updating their computer? The ones who try to play Half-Life at the same time they are burning a DVD and installing MS Office? Those are the people who should stay away from the PPC.

The PPC unit comes with a custom cable which mates the OBD-II port on the car to a modular port on the PPC. I don't know the designation for that particular modular port. I would expect BSR to employ a modern data transfer protocol that at least includes primitive error detection (e.g. checksum). My unit transfers data at a steady pace, so I don't think I've hit any significant snags.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
I have had my PPC for nearly a year now. Tuned and detuned at least 7 times. No problems to report.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am looking for more performance out of my 9-3 and I have been looking at the BSR PPC, but what other performance mods are out there? Can you get up pipe and down pipes for the new 9-3s? Also, is there a difference in the software between the BSR Stage 1 and Stage 2? If I do a Stage 1 now and buy a cat-back exhaust in a few months will I need new software? How much does BSR charge for a new "stage" of software if you already purchased the PPC?

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
1. I am looking for more performance out of my 9-3 and I have been looking at the BSR PPC, but what other performance mods are out there?

Abbott(I'm sure I spelled that wrong)
Maptun
Hirsch
all do ECU mods + more

2. Can you get up pipe and down pipes for the new 9-3s?

All I know of is the BSR downpipe which apparently can't be purchased anymore outside of directly from BSR.

3. Also, is there a difference in the software between the BSR Stage 1 and Stage 2?

Nope.

4. If I do a Stage 1 now and buy a cat-back exhaust in a few months will I need new software?

Nope. Unless you get a new downpipe.

4. How much does BSR charge for a new "stage" of software if you already purchased the PPC?

$200 I believe. I may be wrong.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MSD ignition

With a 2005 Linear will the MSD system interfer with Trionic???? Looking for a lil power boost, fuel economy, without knock....Anyone?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Scooty814 said:
With a 2005 Linear will the MSD system interfer with Trionic???? Looking for a lil power boost, fuel economy, without knock....Anyone?
Scooty, you cannot use an aftermarket ignition system with Trionic, which already accomplishes much of the gains of an MSD system. Trionic has a very advanced boost and timing control, with great knock control. The last thing you want to do is mess around with an aftermarket system, unless you do something like: www.nira.se Even then, unless you're planning on a full race engine, custom turbo application, etc., you're not gaining much by attempting an end run of Trionic.

Also: The T7 and T8 downpipes are available from several sources other than BSR.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Diggs, I'd steer clear of both Abbott and Hirsch unless you live in Europe. They're the two most expensive Saab tuning outfits and have marginal benefit (if any at all) over the others.

Abbott, especially, has been accused on other Saab boards of, shall we say, "acquiring" its programming from other sources...

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
mike saunders said:
Diggs, I'd steer clear of both Abbott and Hirsch unless you live in Europe. They're the two most expensive Saab tuning outfits and have marginal benefit (if any at all) over the others.

Abbott, especially, has been accused on other Saab boards of, shall we say, "acquiring" its programming from other sources...
Thanks. I already have the BSR PPC, but I wanted to include all tuning options for him to choose from if he desired.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Diggs said:
4. If I do a Stage 1 now and buy a cat-back exhaust in a few months will I need new software?

Nope. Unless you get a new downpipe.
Can the T8 handle a downpipe without tuning (in the form of BSR PPC stage 3)? I realize that tuning is best to take advantage of aftermarket parts, but would the car run okay if I do injectors and downpipe without upgrading the ECU?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Turbopowered said:
Can the T8 handle a downpipe without tuning (in the form of BSR PPC stage 3)? I realize that tuning is best to take advantage of aftermarket parts, but would the car run okay if I do injectors and downpipe without upgrading the ECU?
No! The ECU will be confused by the alien hardware. You will definitely get a CEL. Even if it seems to run OK you risk damaging something.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts