SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I just picked up a '97 900 SE 2.0T.
The story:
I bought this car off the drummer from Theory of a Deadman. I got it for $700 with 141k miles, original california car, no rust, just needed tires, a balljoint and front pads&rotors. Heck of a deal for a car with 5 doors, a turbo and 5MT!

I'm waiting for my Haynes manual to come in from England, so I have a few questions:

How do I get at the spark plugs? What spark plugs should I buy?
What weight of oil should I use? Any recommendations?
Where can I find a headlight cover for the driver's side headlamp (I don't want to spend $200 on an OEM one)
Anyone know of any Canadian Saab communities?

·
Registered
770 Posts
NGK Spark Plugs all the Way its very easy to change take off Your DIC and they are right there yours should be RED DIC . Oil I would do a Search on that there is ton's of oil threads on here and u can dicipher for your self.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey guys, so I just picked up a '97 900 SE 2.0T.
The story:
I bought this car off the drummer from Theory of a Deadman. I got it for $700 with 141k miles, original california car, no rust, just needed tires, a balljoint and front pads&rotors. Heck of a deal for a car with 5 doors, a turbo and 5MT!

I'm waiting for my Haynes manual to come in from England, so I have a few questions:

Where can I find a headlight cover for the driver's side headlamp (I don't want to spend $200 on an OEM one)

Welcome! While not an "expert", I was a GM mechanic for a few years...

I just picked up my 99 9-3 and did some maintenance too.
I swapped the plugs (I used AC/Delco ACF-9).
The plugs are under the red "Direct Ignition" cover under the hood. You need a Torx bit to remove the 4 screws (I think T30). Gently, pry up the cover and the plugs will be right there. Use some compressed air to blow out the plug compartment BEFORE removing the plugs, so as not to get any debris into the cylinders!

There is a whole STICKY at the top of this section with regards to oil (http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100642). Basically, use a good 10W-40.

As for parts, check the Marketplace (i.e.- Classifieds- http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36) or eBay.

Being in NY/NJ, I am unfamiliar with Canadian hotspots, but someone out here may...

Good luck. I have found these forums to be extremely helpful, with some real nice, caring people out there!

·
Registered
5,905 Posts

Cool, read your thread on Vortex.
1Under the red thing on top of your engine 4 torx screws and there they are. Use only NGK BCPR7 or 6ES plugs.
2 I like the Blue Shell Rotela Synth for turbo diesels. 10 /40
3.GenuineSaab.com or Eeuroparts.com for the headlight. Try and get the ecode lense.
4. Saab Owners Club Canada I think?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, read your thread on Vortex.

2 I like the Blue Shell Rotela Synth for turbo diesels. 10 /40
3.GenuineSaab.com or Eeuroparts.com for the headlight. Try and get the ecode lense.

It's a turbo gas model, not diesel, but I did check out the oil thread now that I'm aware of it!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Welcome to the world of Saab and also to the boards, and a hell of a pickup for the money...

As for the haynes manual it's a great tool to have for knowledge of these cars and can be a big help, if you have questions just post up a new thread and ask away...

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don't just have a lens, but I have an entire headlight assembly for sale. For the right price I'd consider parting with just the lens.

PM me if you're interested.

-Andrew

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't just have a lens, but I have an entire headlight assembly for sale. For the right price I'd consider parting with just the lens.

PM me if you're interested.

-Andrew

Sure, my problem is everywhere I look it's $200, and for a piece of plastic, I really don't want to spend that much. If you can beat that price quite significantly you'd be awesome.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
BTW, the headlight lense is glass ans removable with 8 clips. They should be $50 or less on eBay. Newer (pos) models have plastic lenses that yellow... Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts