SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi.
I just got my 80 900 last sunday. I got to say I love it, though Ive nicked named it the blue turtle. Anyway, its a 4 cylinder with a four speed manual. I plan on running a turbo up to 10 psi and all the goodies. But first I want to get the thing running right.
So here's my first question for you guys. When I bought the car it ran. (Drove it home from Kalamazoo to Waterford around a 200 mile drive) No problems. Next day, drive it to work and back, and its fine. Well, I was getting ready to take it to my buddy garage so we can start body work (rust removal and few dents to take out, paint prep type of stuff) and it dies just after start up. well, I noticed the that at idle it would drop rpm's then surge back up, so I thought maybe the fuel pump had died. looked in to it and its fine, better then that, its new.
So I start nosing around under the hood, and Ive got gas all the way up till the fuel distributor (first time Ive run into one of those btw), but no gas going out to the injectors. So Im wondering, am I right on my guess. Like I said, its my first time dealing with a fuel distributor. Can they be rebuilt? If not then Im going to switch to real fuel injection. probably MS.

Thanks in advance
Adam

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
fuel

I guess it's a 8v with k-jet? As far as i'm aware theres not that much that can go wrong with them, just a plate which pushes down on some plungers which then allows fuel to flow to the injectors.

Do you get the click from the fuel pump relay when you turn the ignition key?

In theory if you take an injector out and then lift the plate (with the igniton on) you should see fuel comming out. The injectors only open at over 4 bar i think so may not be getting enough pressure from the fuel pump.

Apart form that god knows! (well i'm sure a mod may know, there as close as we get here!)

Have you also checked for vac leaks in the inlet? If you've got a split cuff or something it won't idle.

Welcome to Saab Central.:cool:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Hi there! Welcome to SAAB Central and to SAAB cars :cool:

The GLi will have the Bosch CIS/K-Jet system. Personally, I would leave that intact and give it a good "going over". The fuel distributor is probably okay, but check that the plate freely moves, is clean, centrally seated and when lifted causes the injectors to squirt. Beyond that, any garage will test the CIS system - it's very common and used on everything from VW through Porsche and even Ferrari from the good old days :cheesy: Do ask them what they did and how they did it - it's an easy enough system to follow once you know what everything is.

I find this to be a great resource for understanding and troubleshooting the CIS system:
http://www.auto-solve.com/mech_inj.htm#MFI10

My bet is that you AAV is playing up ... again, carb cleaner and a little WD-40. The CIS system is pretty much bulletproof and only really let down my bad grounds on the few electrical components. Since you mentioned that yours has some rust, you might want to check the main grounding point on the front cross-member.

Let us know how you go ... nice car, BTW! Got a picture yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice guys Ill look into it tonight after work. As for a vac leak, Im not really sure thats it, Ive delt with that before on a first gen rx-7, it would idle like crap, but it would at least start.Ill look into how well the fuel pump is working, and check out the relay, I didnt hear a click coming from it, but I was also in the car. Is there any gaskets or anything Ill need to worry about if I take apart the fuel dizzy? I should probably just buy some gasket material anyway.
also, we took off the line at the fuel dizzy and at the injectors and even with the pump hard wired to the battery and cranking the engine, there was no gas. does the fuel dizzy only activate when the car has started?
Thanks agian
Adam

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
crescentfresh said:
also, we took off the line at the fuel dizzy and at the injectors and even with the pump hard wired to the battery and cranking the engine, there was no gas. does the fuel dizzy only activate when the car has started?
Thanks agian
Adam
Perhaps your pump has died - its not unusual (I had to try 4 before i found one to work in my 99T!)

with the k-jet, you do not need to crank the car to make the fuel dissy work.

read Si's post above -

If you remove an injector from the engine, leave its fuel pipe connected and stick it in a jar.
Then make the fuel pump run. either give it a permenant feed, or short the relay by hand. If it is working, you will be able to hear it whirring/buzzing.
now, remove the rubber bellows off the top of the fuel distributer, and lift the big flap up. As you lift it, the injector that you have removed from the engine should spray. It will stop as soon as the flap is dropped back down.

Once the fuel pump is running, you could also crack off a fuel pipe in the engine bay (try one end of the filter). Fuel should come out of this.

There isnt usually much that goes wrong with the internals of the fuel distributer (save the flap getting stuck - but that is an easy fix!), so you shouldnt need to take it apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wont be getting to the car tonight, long night at work, thanks to a lame situation at the end of the night:x . But I did get a bunch of info for the CIS system off our mitchell on demand at work, get a better understanding of all that system then take a look at it tomorrow.
I know for sure the fuel pump is working, but Im not so sure about the relay. but besides that I used a jumper wire from the pos. on the battery to the pos. on the fuel pump. Had fuel under pressure all the way to the fuel dizzy, but not out to the injectors, As a matter of fact, when I had a hose disconnected from the top of the distributor, the gas kinda sunk back in. But Ill give it another good looking at tomorrow.

oh, Ill try and get some pics up tomorrow to. its a bit rusty and ruff, and the interior needs some work, like a new head liner, but its also a nice project car. As soon as I get her running agian, Im taking it back to my buddys garage to start the body work.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Im going ot double check everything agian and hopefully be driving agian tomorrow.

Adam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D I got it running. Turns out it was the relay, and at the expence of sounding a but cheap, I just ran a couple of wires to a switch and bypassed the relay, I really dont want to spend 50 bucks on one yet.

But I did get it to my friends house and started sanding away at all the rust on the body. Ill have pics up in another thread.
Thanks once more for the help guys
Adam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts