SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the whole Saab car thing. I was wondering where I would start to learn about maintaining it myself. How should I go about learning this? I do know that Saab's are expensive if you take it to a dealer so I would like to learn to do it myself. I know a little about other cars but I was specifically wondering about Saabs, thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
i'd start off by reading the FAQ (one of the stickies at the top of this forum), then search for any specific questions you have. if there's anything else you'd like to know feel free to post a specific question and i'm sure you'll get a speedy answer.

oh, and welcome to SaabCentral!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central, and Saabs in general.

Have you made a purchase yet? If so, what did you get? A good place to get to know the procedures of maintenance for the NG900 would be the Haynes manual. Along with the sticky FAQ that Sacko mentioned, Munki has an excellent website that he's put together. Lots of technical data along with procedures and I even believe a maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm making the purchase either tuesday or thursday; I'm really excited. It's a 97 Saab SE Turbo, Black, Beige interior, a small dent which I'm going to get fixed. Talked the guy down to 5,500 currently, had it checked out already and is in great c ondition.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Hi Chris - If you haven't done it yet, you might do a quick check of the blue book value for your area. I'm not sure, but $5500 sounds a little steep for a car with a dent. As you know, SAABs are weirdo foreigner cars in our neck of the woods (i'm in cincinnati).

In addition to the online sources mentioned, you might want to pick up the Haynes manual for our cars (I think Amazon has it). It's written for the british models, but for most things you'll do just fine.

For parts, you might check out www.eeuroparts.com and www.thesaabsite.com, their prices are about the best you'll find online, and the sell most things you'll need to fix. Your local NAPA/Pep-Boys/Autozone/Advance Auto etc will often have good prices on generic parts such as belts, some hoses, vacuum lines etc. I've also gotten good prices from these box stores for mufflers too, so it's always worth a quick call to check prices.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Chris,

JMarkert makes a really good point about the price. I bought a 97 SET for just over $3,000 about 18 months ago. It needed some work, but not $2,000 worth.

How many miles on this baby?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You got a deal Mike. I paid 7 for mine a year ago ( 98 ).
I still think it was a bargain. ;)

·
Banned
89 Posts
Chris Judah said:
I'm making the purchase either tuesday or thursday; I'm really excited. It's a 97 Saab SE Turbo, Black, Beige interior, a small dent which I'm going to get fixed. Talked the guy down to 5,500 currently, had it checked out already and is in great c ondition.

You could find better deals on ebay....I've seen 99 9-3's go for $5500

1 - 9 of 9 Posts