SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm currently looking at a 1999 Saab 9-5 that my sons step grandmother is offering him from her late brothers estate.
I went over yesterday to see if I could at least get it running but I'm not sure if its either a bad ignition switch or there is a separate start button on these cars. When I turn the key to start it doesn't have that spring back that most cars have so I'm wondering if that's normal and theres a separate push button or the switch is bad.
Is there any special procedures for starting one of these cars? Like foot on the brake, seat belt fastened, door closed, stand on my head while saying a few hail Mary's? Lol
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The lack of spring back in the ignition key barrel is a known issue probably because of its position, encouraging dirt to get in the slot. There is no separate start button, the key starts it with the usual auto transmission restrictions. The key barrel is awkward to remove but easy once you've done it a couple of times. I'm sure there are guides on youtube. You might get away with just cleaning the cylinder etc. Below the cylinder is the ignition switch, and one hopes your problem is not down there, because some significant disassembly is required to access it.

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
If the car has a manual transmission the gear shift has to be in reverse and the clutch pedal has to be pushed to the floor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 1999 9-5 has this issue. Key barrel does not switch back from 'start' to 'on' via spring. I just live with it and switch back manually after I'm sure it started. Have to tell anyone that drives the car so they don't leave the starter on and kill it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, it is an automatic u should have mentioned that in my post.
From what I I've gathered from the family is the owner replaced the transmission from a parts car he also had but it's a 4cyl turbo 5 speed and it's still intact plus I dont see any additional transmission laying around so I doubt that was done.
I'm thinking we'll take the car and have it towed to storage until spring and see what we can do with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, it is an automatic u should have mentioned that in my post.
From what I I've gathered from the family is the owner replaced the transmission from a parts car he also had but it's a 4cyl turbo 5 speed and it's still intact plus I dont see any additional transmission laying around so I doubt that was done.
I'm thinking we'll take the car and have it towed to storage until spring and see what we can do with it.
I mean I should have mentioned. Lol

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
If the car has a manual transmission the gear shift has to be in reverse and the clutch pedal has to be pushed to the floor.
Pedantically:

Clutch has to be pushed to floor to get the starter to run (on a manual, obviously). Aftermarket floor mats can keep this from happening.

Auto trans needs to be in neutral or park. You should see the gear indicated on the dashboard.

Manual needs to be in reverse to remove the key I always put it into neutral before starting the car. Otherwise, car starts, you get distracted, release the clutch, lurch backwards into that nice old lady with three lawyers in the immediate family.

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
Otherwise, car starts, you get distracted, release the clutch, lurch backwards
I did that a few years ago in a hurry to hook up my utility trailer and get out of other folk's way and finished off an already suspect/tired cv joint.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I did that a few years ago in a hurry to hook up my utility trailer and get out of other folk's way and finished off an already suspect/tired cv joint.
my 2000 Aero manual has the reverse lock removed......one of the best things I ever did.

You could study the owners manual on this car and charge the battery before you attempt to start it.

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
From what I I've gathered from the family is the owner replaced the transmission from a parts car he also had but it's a 4cyl turbo 5 speed and it's still intact plus I don't see any additional transmission laying around so I doubt that was done.
A 1999 would actually be a 4-speed automatic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts