SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe it or not, I made the decision of working for three years and saving up for a Saab, so I ended up getting a 2002 9-3 SE, I love it, my friends are jealous (they stilll think their 83' Camero is better :confused:). But on to my point I was looking at getting my car tuned for performance because I like to spend time at Watkins Glenn Racetrack and would be nice to be able to keep up with some of the vettes. I'd like to start at something simple and wanted to keep it less than $300 for now because I know you guys are a lot smarter than me at the Saabs and where their power is coming from...I'm still a "noob" at it. Thanks in adavance guys.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I would second the sway bar as a first mod as well. Although I don't think mine is as amazing as some people describe there's (maybe its just me) it is a great first step. I'm not sure what you'll be doing for $200. T7 will adapt to a lot of hardware mods, that are more than $200 anyways. An ecu is much more also. Maybe some mods to keep engine temps down would help. A lot of these are very cheap or free. Or maybe put that $200 into some nice tires depending on what you run now.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
You're going to need more then $300 to compete with Vettes. ;)

Welcome to the Saab club. We can go fast, but it ain't cheap! :cheesy:

·
Registered
328 Posts
definitely the sway bar ($80), and i'd go for a drop in K&N filter ($50 i think?) and doing the 3" air box mod (you should be able to search around and find a writeup on how to do that) and a steering rack clamp/brace (150), which i found to make a noticible improvement in handling in the front end. you can get the sway bar and steering rack clamp/brace together for $200!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I started a thread with a tittle along the lines of "three cheap cooling mods." And by cheap, some are free. :cheesy:

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
Well I would recomend the 25.5mm rear sway bar for $100. As for the $200 left, I will let some of the Trionic 7 guys kick in.
You went for the 25.5? How you like?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How fast are you guys taking corners because I have a friend with a 900 that can take corners, fairly sharp too at around 85mph and I don't hear any tires squeling. But I plan on putting this sway bar on before I go to Watkins Glen and I'll let you guys know how it well helped.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Well, Steal,

I dont know what your driving experience is, or how ready you are for your car to oversteer, but I do know that if you put on too big of an anti-roll bar and come into a corner too hot, your car can start to oversteer. I also know that the average driver will then panic and hit the brakes, which lightens the rear end further and causes MORE oversteer. This is why the cars come biased so the front wheels break free before the rear. The right thing to have done in this situation would be to hit the gas and weight those rears back down to moderate the oversteer. Unless you were planning on spinning :cheesy:

I would recommend going with the 22mm bar if you're gonna do it.. This will even out the handling some while still biasing it torwards understeer ever so slightly. Dont worry, you can still get the rear around, I did it the other day. And yes, I hit the gas as it came around and avoided spinning. Guess I finally found the limits of my new tires :eek:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Get a 22mm bar, and if you want more then upgrade later. You can probably get 80% of your money back from the first bar selling it used to another saaber.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts