SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone! My name is Nick. I'm 29 and live in Northern New Jersey. I've always wanted to own a saab, and I'm currently without a car. The engine on my 05 honda recently quit, so I'm looking to try out a saab.

Like I said, I've ALWAYS wanted to own a Saab, and I believe I've found my chance!

Looking for some advice here-

I found a local listing for a 1998 Saab 900 SE Convertible. In pretty good physical shape. has 190k miles, and claims clutch was just replaced within the last month and other than the car needing a fuel pump (Causes car not to start/run), owner claims the car is in great running shape (hah).

I asked about when the car was last tuned up and when belts/hoses and timing belt/water pump was replaced, and owner said he really doesn't know when any of that was done.

He's currently asking $1,000 or best offer.

My question is, dare I go near this car? How much would a fuel pump job cost me, and what would be a good Best offer for this car? I was thinking around the 500-600 range since I'm thinking i'll probably have to do the Fuel Pump, timing belt, water pump and tune up. Also I noticed there is a small tear in the drivers seat and the driver's seat is missing the lumbar adjustment.

Any advice, suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated,

nicholas

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah I wouldnt go over 500 on an old ng900 i couldnt drive beforehand.

Tell him if he wants anywhere near 1000 for it hes gotta pony up a few hundred to get the pump replaced so you can at least drive it first.

If you do get it real cheap you can replace the pump yourself by cutting in under the rear seat as opposed to the text book way of dropping the fuel tank.

Being that its a vert take a good look at the top for leaks proper operation. Can stuff can easily cost more to fix than a car like this is worth.

Do you really need a vert?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Either feel comfortable with wrenching yourself or know a mechanic who is good with Saab's nearby. They have their won set of quirks that experience helps with.

Agree with the above posters comments on price. Read your post a little more carefully. Looks like you are looking for a daily driver. I have seen some descent newer, less miles 9-5's you could get for near that price if you want a daily driver. Fact of the matter is that almost any car unless you are lucky that costs $1,000 is likely to have extensive repair issues to get right.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Either feel comfortable with wrenching yourself or know a mechanic who is good with Saab's nearby. They have their won set of quirks that experience helps with.

Agree with the above posters comments on price. Read your post a little more carefully. Looks like you are looking for a daily driver. I have seen some descent newer, less miles 9-5's you could get for near that price if you want a daily driver. Fact of the matter is that almost any car unless you are lucky that costs $1,000 is likely to have extensive repair issues to get right.
yeah its possible to get a 1k car that turns out to be amazingly reliable, but i wouldnt count on it.

i was thinking of 9-5s too when i read the OP definitely look into those. It would be a much better bet to spend a bit more money on a decent 9-5 than gamble on some potentially dodgey, high miles ng900 i cant drive beforehand. but i suppose if you really want a vert....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice! Well, i only plan on using this daily for about a month. Will be getting a newer honda shortly, so this saab would become a seasonal fun type of car. the seller agreed to 500 bucks. Now Im going to see if I can get it towed to a mechanic to make sure it doesn't need anything else.

Question though.. on this car.. 1998 900 SE convertible.. does it have a timing chain or timing belt? car has 190k, and curious if i need to do a timing belt job on it if needed, unless its one of those "no need to change" chains.

·
Registered
242 Posts
its a chain if it hasnt been done by 190k its long over due you can easily pull it off to check the amount its stretched, but actually replacing it is a bit harder job.

do a search on the forums for more info.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i appreciate it! yup i know exactly where that is! its right off 202/myrtle ave near the big liquor outlet store (And there is a ramp to 287 right there)..

Im going to check the car wednesday and have it towed for a good looking over by the mechanic. If there is anything more than the fuel pump wrong on this car, I'm just going to back out of it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts