SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad I found this forum, I was on the verge of buying a 2009 Volvo V70 or XC70. I've wanted a Saab since high school, when my Dad only allowed American cars. :) Anyway, I'm currently looking at 2007 and 2008 Aero wagons. I have two kids under 5 yo with another on the way and the Saab backseat is roomier than the Volvo. An Autotrader search reveals only 4 cars under 25 k, 2007-2013 within 500 miles of home. The two I'm looking at:

1. 2007 Aero wagon with 62.5k miles, ~$12k

2. 2008 Aero wagon with 47.5k, ~$17k

Online, the only real differences I can see are the 2008 has two tone interior (Me like!) and a roof rack. I've requested info RE service schedules but save a few gaps in the Carfax reports on both, service looks good. I would have to travel to LA/North County San Diego to look at both, but I used to live in SD and am familiar with the area (both cars are at pretty reputable dealers).

Both cars are at or below Edmunds TMV. Provided both are clean with good service, I'm tempted to go with the 2007 for $5k less. I drive ~10k/year and would barely be over 100k after 5 years of ownership. Any differences between the 2007 and 08 models I've missed? Could I get them lower than $17k for the '08? Sorry so long-winded but I'm pretty excited about getting my first Saab. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
215 Posts
EVERY Saab should be at or below Edmunds TMV. That's just the reality of the market right now. I bought mine with a TMV of $6,000 for $2,300. Nocal may be different than the East Coast, so check your area.

Also check other sources than Autotrader. Craigslist has a lot of FSBO's, and you'll see better deals. Print them off and take them in. If you have any buddies in the car biz, see if you can find out the auction price. How long have these been on the lot?

For 12K, the 2007 needs to be in pristine condition, 2 keys and fobs, new tires, etc... IMHO.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Personally, I'd prefer the year newer and 15K miles less 2008 for $5000 more, but that's me. I paid $18,500 for my 2008 2.3T a lil over a year ago and would do the same today. And, you can always talk them down from their asking price.... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EVERY Saab should be at or below Edmunds TMV. That's just the reality of the market right now. I bought mine with a TMV of $6,000 for $2,300. Nocal may be different than the East Coast, so check your area.

Also check other sources than Autotrader. Craigslist has a lot of FSBO's, and you'll see better deals. Print them off and take them in. If you have any buddies in the car biz, see if you can find out the auction price. How long have these been on the lot?

For 12K, the 2007 needs to be in pristine condition, 2 keys and fobs, new tires, etc... IMHO.
Thanks Lost, and everyone else, for the quick replies. I've checked Craigslist in all major metro areas of Cali, Cars.com and a few other sites and pickings are slim on the west coast. Might have to go the auction route, as I do have a friend of a friend that should be able to help. There is a well-respected independent mechanic in the Sacto area, so I'm good with that part of the equation. I might just wait it out and keep looking a few more months. Thanks again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
saabworld.net is another great resource for a Saab owner. This link shows the differences between the model years:
http://saabworld.net/f9/changes-saab-9-5-through-years-north-america-1/

Here is the buyers guide:
http://saabworld.net/f9/saab-9-5-buyers-guide-693/

The 9-5 Aero Wagon is a very nice ride. I love mine. check out all the rear end suspension carefully, if it looks like subframe,trailing arm bushes, struts or springs are going have them replaced right way before start ruining tires... it can start to be an expensive venture. Other than that I think these cars are mechanically solid, not a whole lot to worry about if they have been maintained.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts