Rover420i
Alfa Romeo 166
Toyota Landcruiser x 2
BMW 525i
jeep Cherokee
Suzuki GV
and...
Saab 95 2.3 Estate (as a second car):
Had Saab for 6 days (drove for 80 miles) -Throttle body failed. Checked by garage - turbo blowing oil back into TB causing failure - result new Turbo and TB (first motor in 25 years of driving that has had catastrophic failure so soon after buying). Shame as I really like the car.
Garage has had car for 5 weeks as the parts have been a 'bit difficult to sort out'. When I get the car back I will post some pics as it looks cracking!

Looking forward to advice (and some sympathy)

· Registered
422 Posts
Welcome to the group. Your collection of owned vehicles even from the other side of the pond is eclectic. Was the car purchased from a private party or a lot? If the latter will they spring for the expenses perhaps in part? I find it hard to believe that in five weeks the parts have not been located & job finished. This is not rocket science although they are born from jets! When the work is compleated, make certain the intercooler has been flushed otherwise you may face the additional expense of a catalyst.

· Registered
2,022 Posts
Turbo's are a different breed, was it smoking when you bought it?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought it from an independent used car dealer.
Great service history but high mileage; not too fussed as my 525i had covered well over 250000 miles.
Sent the car back with a knackered TB in limp home mode, during the work to replace it the garage said that the reason it went south was due to the turbo 'squirting oil' in to the TB! The Turbo was 6 months old and they went to the supplier to repair/replace: that was a couple of days ago - I wait for the response. I am a bit [email protected] at the mo but I am looking forward to the car being sat outside as it looks great.

Thanks for the welcome.
;ol;

· Registered
63 Posts
For year models prior to 2004, (I think it is limited to the B235 engine) so 1998-2003 there is a well documented engine sludging issue, if the car has not been regularly maintained, with regular oil changes using synthetic oil. Even if regularly maintained, there can still be issues with sludging. This can cause issues with the turbo and blown engines.
It is recommended to drop the oil pan clean the sump, remove the valve cover and examine for sludging and clean oil ports when a car is purchased without a full maintenance record.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, That ain't good. The entry in the diary today simply reads - Bugger!

When (hopefully soon) I get the Saab back i'll pop the sump and have a good root about. With the luck of the swedish it will be OK (there was a Saab service record til 155000miles, I got it at 166 000.) Thanks for the advice - You'll all no doubt be asked for more info over the coming weeks.

Yours Aye

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's back from the 'docs'.

New TB.
New Turbo
Cleaned Intercooler
Engine oil change
Filter change
ECU upgrade (update)

All paid for by the dealer...... OMG. He stated £1100 to him (I only paid him 1K).

Driven 400 mile so far, no dramas / issues. Love the car (hope it stays on the road)
:p:p:p

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sump removed and given a good scrub out (it has obviously been off before coz its been sealed with hylomar) Screen ok :p not too much sludge but a bit. It was a stained but not too bad. Refitted with loctite anaerobic gasket seal (good stuff and easy to use)

Bottom end ok - a bit of play but not excessive (and with 167K on the clock I'm not surprised!)

New oil (Castrol Magnatech Full Synthetic) new filter and some ZX1 Extra lube oil additive - I have used this product on all my cars and bikes for the last ten years and hold in high regard.

Car is now really quiet and sounds silky smooth. I will take the rocker cover off this weekend for a look see. The brakes are dragging a bit on release - any suggestions, I think I'll just strip and clean them (advice welcomed) ;ol;

· Registered
497 Posts
Sump removed and given a good scrub out (it has obviously been off before coz its been sealed with hylomar) Screen ok :p not too much sludge but a bit. It was a stained but not too bad. Refitted with loctite anaerobic gasket seal (good stuff and easy to use)

Bottom end ok - a bit of play but not excessive (and with 167K on the clock I'm not surprised!)

New oil (Castrol Magnatech Full Synthetic) new filter and some ZX1 Extra lube oil additive - I have used this product on all my cars and bikes for the last ten years and hold in high regard.

Car is now really quiet and sounds silky smooth. I will take the rocker cover off this weekend for a look see. The brakes are dragging a bit on release - any suggestions, I think I'll just strip and clean them (advice welcomed) ;ol;
Caliper pins tend to get sticky from rust. Make sure they slide well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.