SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't have alot of direct experience with the NA2.3, but generally all of Saabs exhaust bolt together. They have a ball/socket type joint, and a two piece clamp joins them together. For the most part it works OK, and you can swap out a bad piece (like a flex pipe). Walker makes a lot of aftermarket exhaust components you can find them on Rockauto.com.

I replaced one this summer on my Dads convertible, and there was so much rust on the pipe I was not replacing that it did not seal correctly. So this cam be an issue. I ended up welding this junction to save a few bucks. The right thing to do would have been replace that section as well.

I'd recommend a good inspection before you buy anything, or take it to an exhaust shop that can fabricate what they need.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Take a look under the car to see how much of the original exhaust system might have been replaced. Replacements are likely to be generic and welded. At which point just taking it to a muffler shop for more welds is probably the most effective approach.

The only flex pipe section I know of is just after the manifold, and the one in the ad obviously isn't that. I guess the factory system has another flex partway down the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I peeked under. Its got a handful hahaha. To be fair to the previous owner, (I think he is on the forums) he allowed me to look under but I didn't look closely enough, not that it would have prevented me from buying the car haha.

First 4 pictures are from the driver side, the rest are from passenger side.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
It looks like the flange/socket part has been cut off the downpipe, to fit a drop replacement for flexpipe section (like you linked to on ebay in the first post) would require a new flange/socket to be welded to the DP.

So in your case that part wont be a direct fit with no welding due to the 'modifications' the PO has done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a homemade repair there. Better take it to a shop, it's hard telling how that will work out unless you bought an entire exhaust system and clamps. Just for grins I checked, you can get a complete Walker kit for $321 from Rock Auto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5905104&cc=1317233&jsn=1376

This is a "Cat Back" system.
yea I thought a cat back would be the best way to go upon closer inspection of the current setup. That is basically what I paid for the car! lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It looks like the flange/socket part has been cut off the downpipe, to fit a drop replacement for flexpipe section (like you linked to on ebay in the first post) would require a new flange/socket to be welded to the DP.

So in your case that part wont be a direct fit with no welding due to the 'modifications' the PO has done.
Is the flex pipe basically the catalytic converter? If so, I can just get the flex pipe and do a straight pipe from there right?

Edit: nvm, I didn't see the cat in the walker diagram. Now I see it...looks like it'll be way easier to take it to a shop and have them do it. I don't have the tools or power for this!

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
Probably a wise idea. The 2.3 NA is setup as follows:
4 to 2 manifold > Y Pipe with cat (this is the part where the socket end has been cut off after cat >> flex pipe section (this is the part that is a mess on your car) >> resonator section >> Muffler

The joins marked with >> use clam shell clamps.
The > join between the manifold and Y pipe uses studs and nuts with a gasket on each of the 2 pipes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts