SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove 3 and a half hours yesterday to buy a 2008 9-3 Aero XWD. Thing is in rough shape. Every light is on, every warning, Starts, but immediately stalls, was able to get a code P0560 out of it. Battery light is on for "not charging", power cuts out when accelerating enough to jerk you forward, brakes are very squishy, Service xwd light is on, umm probably some more things.

I'm going to start with a new alternator. Even though the previous owner claims they put a new one in, I dont think they did it correctly or put in the wrong one and could be the cause for a lot of the other issues.

Fix it plan is 1. Alternator 2. Coils Plugs. 3. Find out what's up with the brakes (could it be a vacuum leak?),4. Look for hoses that need to be fixed. 5. Figure out what's up with the xwd system

Would a tech II scan be worth it to help me figure out what else is up with it? Or am I incorrect for thinking that will help me diagnose some things? Would you guys recommend a starting point different than the alternator?
Thanks, pumped to be back in a Saab again.

20201108_184926.jpg 20201108_184933.jpg 20201108_184935.jpg 20201108_125323.jpg

·
Registered
509 Posts
I drove 3 and a half hours yesterday to buy a 2008 9-3 Aero XWD. Thing is in rough shape. Every light is on, every warning, Starts, but immediately stalls, was able to get a code P0560 out of it. Battery light is on for "not charging", power cuts out when accelerating enough to jerk you forward, brakes are very squishy, Service xwd light is on, umm probably some more things.

I'm going to start with a new alternator. Even though the previous owner claims they put a new one in, I dont think they did it correctly or put in the wrong one and could be the cause for a lot of the other issues.

Fix it plan is 1. Alternator 2. Coils Plugs. 3. Find out what's up with the brakes (could it be a vacuum leak?),4. Look for hoses that need to be fixed. 5. Figure out what's up with the xwd system

Would a tech II scan be worth it to help me figure out what else is up with it? Or am I incorrect for thinking that will help me diagnose some things? Would you guys recommend a starting point different than the alternator?
Thanks, pumped to be back in a Saab again.

View attachment 277244 View attachment 277245 View attachment 277246 View attachment 277247 View attachment 277244 View attachment 277245 View attachment 277246 View attachment 277247
Welcome back to SAAB life!
Your plan is exactly the way I would attack it. YES... a Tech2 will be your best friend. They are at about the lowest price I typically see them on Chinacardiags.com I bought mine there as many have and can vouch for the seller as legit and timely in delivery.

Good luck and have fun with your new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome back to SAAB life!
Your plan is exactly the way I would attack it. YES... a Tech2 will be your best friend. They are at about the lowest price I typically see them on Chinacardiags.com I bought mine there as many have and can vouch for the seller as legit and timely in delivery.

Good luck and have fun with your new ride!

Thank you! yea i'm pumped. Probably a dumb question, but do you know which option you chose for the tech II? I have an 08, it seems that there's some sort of cut off with the tech II software support? 1604933118898.png

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thank you! yea i'm pumped. Probably a dumb question, but do you know which option you chose for the tech II? I have an 08, it seems that there's some sort of cut off with the tech II software support? View attachment 277248

Like in this picture if you are English speaking and are getting it for SAABs only. You can always get cards for other cars later if you want to.

Keep in mind that you are not actually going to use the USB dongle and software that is included. Read the Tech2 pinned thread and you will see that rule #1 is throw that **** away and download and install the cracked GlobalTIS software.

There’s a learning curve to getting your laptop all set up and understanding how to get security access and all, but it’s well worth it.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
fix the charging issue first as it could be the root cause of many of ur problems, double check what alternator is in it and if it looks new, it is not very uncommon for an alternator not to fix a charging issue on these, fault could be on connections or in the ECM.

·
Super Moderator
1,847 Posts
fix the charging issue first as it could be the root cause of many of ur problems, double check what alternator is in it and if it looks new, it is not very uncommon for an alternator not to fix a charging issue on these, fault could be on connections or in the ECM.
I’d also do the battery at the same time as the alternator, in addition to checking & cleaning all the grounds. The batteries do not live long lives in V6 cars since it is located right next to the turbo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The tech II will also produce subcodes and model specific codes, really useful for finding little faults throughout the car including an indication if the vehicle knows why charging is not happening, and voltage readouts from various sensors throughout the platform.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d also do the battery at the same time as the alternator, in addition to checking & cleaning all the grounds. The batteries do not live long lives in V6 cars since it is located right next to the turbo.
previous owner just put in a new battery a couple weeks ago, which leads me to believe that the alternator they put in is junk and isnt charging. Any clue if there's a doc with all of the ground wire locations?

·
Super Moderator
20,141 Posts
That's the electronic version of a Haynes manual (WIS) and a parts catalog (EPC).

Reactions: bono426

·
Super Moderator
20,141 Posts
Tech2 subforum. Take you the better part of a week of nights to go through it so get started. :)

Reactions: salth2oj

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tech2 subforum. Take you the better part of a week of nights to go through it so get started. :)

Thank you. I'm watching a Tech II for dummies i found on Youtube. I'll check out that also

·
Registered
2004 9-3 Aero, 2008 9-3 Aero, 2009 2.0T XWD
807 Posts
Gonne chime in here, once you're done with that alternator, be ready to grab all the vacuum lines by the ECM/ignition coils. ALL OF THEM will break once you start swapping coils. Get a battery a new battery while you're at it (I'm sure this has been mentioned) otherwise, you'll be chasing ghosts. Also, start looking into a fuel pump, you'll get P0089 at some point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gonne chime in here, once you're done with that alternator, be ready to grab all the vacuum lines by the ECM/ignition coils. ALL OF THEM will break once you start swapping coils. Get a battery a new battery while you're at it (I'm sure this has been mentioned) otherwise, you'll be chasing ghosts. Also, start looking into a fuel pump, you'll get P0089 at some point.
Thank you, I'll be sure to do that. Do you happen to know which ones off the top of your head?

Update:
New alternator is in- Didn't fix the issue. So, I busted out the electrical equipment and started tracing down wires. Found that the two wires running to the alternator from the ecu connection? tab thing were already hacked together. I re-spliced in some new wires and it fixed the Battery charging issue. Onto this messed up idle now

·
Registered
487 Posts
Now that you've fixed the alternator issue, clear all codes and see what pops up at the next startup. Alternator over/under charging can cause a lot of modules to throw fault codes as they go into "protection mode" when they detect supply voltages that are out of range. The ECU, ABS/ESP and TCM will do this to protect solenoids and sensors.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Thank you, I'll be sure to do that. Do you happen to know which ones off the top of your head?

Update:
New alternator is in- Didn't fix the issue. So, I busted out the electrical equipment and started tracing down wires. Found that the two wires running to the alternator from the ecu connection? tab thing were already hacked together. I re-spliced in some new wires and it fixed the Battery charging issue. Onto this messed up idle now
@bono426 told u, check the connections 😬
Anyway, as suggested above, clear codes, drive the car for few days, then update us with what symptoms and codes u have ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now that you've fixed the alternator issue, clear all codes and see what pops up at the next startup. Alternator over/under charging can cause a lot of modules to throw fault codes as they go into "protection mode" when they detect supply voltages that are out of range. The ECU, ABS/ESP and TCM will do this to protect solenoids and sensors.
Good call, I'd love to take your advice, but need to get this damn inner axle shaft bearing thingamabob put back in. Once she's all put back together, then I'll try and take it for a ride. here's some pictures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts