SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all, been a long time since I've been a regular on this board but my recent purchase has me back! Flew to Nashville to buy a stock 2002 4dr gunmetal grey Viggen about a month ago. It's got 95k miles on it, all original except the wheels, some light rust on suspension components but otherwise in great shape. I've already replaced the DIC and added the GS steering rack brace and 22mm rear ARB, the 6-point brace is going on next. I'm looking to get this bad boy autocross ready in the next couple months to give you an idea of commitment level/willingness to spend $$.

Looking for any advice/suggestions on things I might want to replace or upgrade at this age and mileage. I've been driving my 01' 9-5 for 11 years now, so I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on what needs to be serviced, but figured there might be some hidden issues I'm unaware of. Also curious to hear from anyone with the rear hatch brace... is it worth it?

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Bonus pic next to the 9-5:
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,488 Posts
@TSGriffin Great looking Viggen.
I'd like to say the rear hatch brace will limit the vehicle's functionality, based on what I have seen.
So it looks like you are familiar with the GS brand - so I have a few suggestions.
You might want to look at the custom engine mounts GS stock, and the slotted brake discs front and rear.
GS pedals would also add some bling.
You don't describe your strut set up - so maybe Koni Yellow adjustable would help there.
At 95K miles, there are several key items that are not performance-related - that you need to investigate in due course.
Suspension and associated items like link ends, and sway bar bushes will need to be considered.
Other items eg: Fuel Filter, Oil pump O-Ring etc will be on that list
Upgraded intercooler - eg Do88 - might be worth looking into.
It looks in great condition, so even random things like looking for fender screw nuts etc that are missing will help. Could you do a clear corners mod in your state?
I'm not sure about US rules on that kind of thing.

The other item you don't discuss is Stage Tune and/or exhaust. I'm sure there are lots of people here that can help you with that step.

Given the recent floods etc in the US - make sure you know the history.
Chassis wise some hardtops develop a fine hairline crack in some places that allow water to enter the trunk etc. There are lots of posts about this - so be aware of these spots. Some people also check the rear light clusters and seals associated with them.
Again - Looks Good. Well Done.

·
Premium Member
2000 93 SE Vert Auto 2001 93 SE Vert 5spd
281 Posts
Congrats on your Viggen, it is a nice looking car.

You will want to find out if your car understeers or oversteers and start to make adjustments accordingly. When I was Autocrossing (and doing occasional track days) back in the day I was in a Porsche 944S2 that would oversteer, especially in the wet, and I was taking steps to help balance it - which put me into the modified category.

An item you did not mention is a Front Strut brace. GS makes a strut brace for the front of the car. I put one on one of my convertibles and it made enough of a difference that I have one for the other as well. The convertibles are more flexible than the hardtops, so you may not notice much of a difference. If you are auto crossing, the upgrades you mentioned above will put you into a modified class, but because they are not that visible you might be able to get away with staying in the stock class. If you add the struct tower brace, front or rear, it will be much more obvious that your car has been modified.

I have the GS rear roll bar, steering rack brace, 6 point brace and the front strut tower brace on both my convertibles. I also have adjustable Koni's front and rear. I am running stock springs. I do not know if my Saab understeers or oversteers, even though I occasionally try to provoke it. Although I push the car when I can, I am still on public roads and don't want to cause an incident. However, I am able to surpass the highway speed limits while still on a clover-leaf interchange - I typically have to slow down to merge with traffic. With the suspension modifications I find my 5spd to be one of the most neutral and predictable car I have ever owned - even more than the 944S2 which has a reputation for being neutral.

I believe that if you have adjustable shocks you can tweak the understeer/oversteer a little by biasing the front to rear stiffnesses. I have not experimented with this on the Saab.

A tune would go along way to helping your time, but again that would put you into the modified territory. I got a stage one tune from Saab Runner Scott on Bay and have been happy with it. It has given the cars a lot more torque at lower RPM's, which is handy for Autocross. The good thing about this tune is that he sends you a whole new (used and reprogramed) ECU, so I still have my original ECU's in stock form.

You might also want to look into replacing the flexible portion of the brake lines with new ones, potentially with the stainless steel outer wrap - the originals are getting old and will be undergoing a lot of stress on the track.

Best of luck with the build.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Really appreciate the suggestions @SunSaab @Mort @ET160.

I didn't realize GS had an upgrade for the strut tower brace over stock, I'll likely add that to the list.

Konis are definitely in the future, but I want to run with the stock ones for a while. They're still in good shape from what I can tell.

@SunSaab any other recommendations on tuners? Can't find anything from Saab Runner Scott. BrewCityBoost isn't doing Saabs anymore unfortunately. Tried to get them to upgrade my 9-5 two years ago. I ended up going with the BSR stage 1 and it hasn't given me any problems, but I remember people saying 5-10 years ago that their profiles were a bit aggressive compared to other options out there. The tune they have for the Viggen looks like a solid upgrade without needing extra hardware.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts