SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, My wife and I just purchased this car on Saturday, and really like it so far (wow 6 whole days). Anyhow, this is our first Saab ever, and actually we have never driven one before, our current stable houses a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, a 2009 SRT8 Challenger and a 2010 Subaru impreza 2.5i. I am hoping to glean a ton of information off of this site, it has been helpful so far. My one question is, I had to get a new radiator cap, and after many dealerships and parts stores, they finally located one in California! Are all parts this difficult to obtain? Thanks.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hello all, My wife and I just purchased this car on Saturday, and really like it so far (wow 6 whole days). Anyhow, this is our first Saab ever, and actually we have never driven one before, our current stable houses a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, a 2009 SRT8 Challenger and a 2010 Subaru impreza 2.5i. I am hoping to glean a ton of information off of this site, it has been helpful so far. My one question is, I had to get a new radiator cap, and after many dealerships and parts stores, they finally located one in California! Are all parts this difficult to obtain? Thanks.
Welcome to the site!
Parts have been an issue but there getting easier to find. Most parts are easy to find, but a couple parts are still hard to find.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you BRYCE804. One more question, what is the reliability of my particular vehicle? Any major problems I should be aware of?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thank-you BRYCE804. One more question, what is the reliability of my particular vehicle? Any major problems I should be aware of?
Honestly its great. I drove one from brand new for 80k miles. Besides basic maintenance, I had one coil pack fail and a couple coolant tank issues. After they did the recall on the coolant tank never had another problem with it.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Very reliable car.

Parts were an issue starting this past December when Saab Cars North America declared bankruptcy. The parts warehouse was basically shut down. It reopened in the spring and just on June 1 was reestablished under new ownership. Also the Swedish gov't bought Saab Parts out of bankruptcy a while ago and have started to get parts produced from suppliers and also making parts themselves.
So most parts should become readily available soon.

There was a coolant tank recall and that's about it. If auto change the tranny fluid with the ONLY the spec'd fluid which is "AW-1". That's another story so when you do that get the info from here and do a search.
Basic maintenance otherwise.

If you're into performance along with plug n play mods a "tune" does wonders for the V6.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank-you for the prompt replies. I have the 6 speed Manual. The only issue so far was that my radiator cap broke apart when I went to fill the fluid, so when I was driving, I noticed radiator fluid dripping under the car from what I would think is the overflow tank. My cap is on order from CA right now. Does this have anything to do with the recall?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Thank-you for the prompt replies. I have the 6 speed Manual. The only issue so far was that my radiator cap broke apart when I went to fill the fluid, so when I was driving, I noticed radiator fluid dripping under the car from what I would think is the overflow tank. My cap is on order from CA right now. Does this have anything to do with the recall?
Yes. And I should say a TSB, don't remember if it was a recall or not.

The whole tank and the two lines and clamps were replaced. Good question whether the cap was actually replaced during the campaign or if they used the old one. I believe the paperwork would show it--mine is not handy so I can't look it up.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
They used the old cap....but you can get the same OEM replacement one from any Caddilac dealer for a lot less. The SRX used our 2.8T engine for a while...

Sean

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
They used the old cap....but you can get the same OEM replacement one from any Caddilac dealer for a lot less. The SRX used our 2.8T engine for a while...

Sean
If I recall from photos and looking at the SRX engine the coolant tank setup was quite different than the 9-3 or 9-5. But you're probably correct with the cap being the same for many models. Why change those?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Someone here bought it and its identical for about $11....this is after I bought one from Saab for $22....

Sean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got back from O'rielly auto parts, 2006 SRX radiator cap, $6.99, 1 year warranty, fit like a glove. That will be the vehicle I reference in the future for engine parts and the assorted stuff. On a side note, they had the cabin air cleaner as well $15.99 and 10 minutes to change following a write-up someone else on this forum did. You guys (and gals) are awesome, thanks. ;ol;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts