SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys this is my first post to the forums here, ive been lurking and using some of the write ups for about a year now.
here is my dilemma.
i own 1999 9-5 2.3l turbo
i blew up my turbo a while back and when it went it sucked oil out of the engine and i threw a rod bearing.
i hear this is not uncommon. so i already replaced the turbo and cleaned my intake system as well as my exhaust system.
now it is time to change the rod bearing.
i cant find the specs i need online and dealers have been reluctant to give me the info.
i need to know the crank journal o.d., the oil clearance allowance(clearance between bearing and crank) the torque for the connecting rod bolts and oil pan bolt torque.
if anyone has this info or can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
adam

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would have thought that a Saab dealer would be able to sell you a set of big-end shells over the counter at the spare parts desk. The only hassle is whether the car has been done before and the shells are Oversized, but I would think this very unlikely these days.
The Haynes manual/book has all the information too, best to buy it anyway. The Workshop Information System, WIS, (on CD) is the best, with absolutley everything you would never want to know about these cars. Getting one is another matter, Try 'flea-bay' of similar.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
That sounds pretty technical...but yours has to be one of the best handles Ive ever seen. Good luck with your rebuild, maybe make friends with a SAAB mechanic? :cheesy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

i actually bought the bearings from napa. i dont have a saab dealer near me at all. they just wouldnt give me the specs. i emailed a couple of other dealers to see if i could get one of them to give me the info.
as far as the handle goes....well i did hondas for many years and then bought a vw golf(its a play on farfignuton) all of my friends were harassing me for betraying the hondas, then i sold the over sized paper weight and bought the saab. i must say the saab is the funnest and nicest car ive owned but my problems started right after i bought it....
ill fix it and keep it and hpefully fall back in love with it.
thanks guys keep the responses coming
adam jeffery

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also.....

the haynes will have those specs in it for me? i couldnt remember if haynes had the technical specs or not on engine internals.
if someone has one could you double check if that info is in it and if so ill buy one. im looking for the w.i.s. cd now.
adam jeffery

G

·
The WIS is great. Any Saab owner doing any kind of work on their car should have this software.

Here are the crankshaft specs for the '99 2.3 engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
found wis on ebay

i found a guy in canada selling the wis for 15 bucks for the 9-5, he has great feedback for over a year with only 2 negatives so im pretty confident with the purchase.
ill let you guys know when it comes in if my copy is any good.
thanks again guys
adam jeffery:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts