SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the board, lurking for a day, and decided to register and post, as I'm going to go drive a 1987 900 turbo today. It's engine was rebuilt 40K ago, and my friend who drove it said it was great driving.

The body is in OK shape, with a few little things missing, like the chromeish panel on the rear quarter. Also, the paint is fading/cracking near the front bumper on the hood.

I am wondering what I should pay for it, and what I should check while I'm test driving.

The guy is asking 1500$, but he says he hasn't really driven it in the past year or two, so I figure I could get it for less. Btw, that's in American, I noticed most board members are in the UK.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That price sounds a tad high, BUT what's the mileage on the car, auto or manual, leather or cloth, etc? What does it mean "rebuilt the engine"?

Make sure it boosts up well. Also, listen for bumps and clunks from the suspension. If it's a manual, how does it shift? Listen for a whine when you approach 45 mph. With an automatic, does it shift well at good rpms?

Check the inside bottom of the doors. That's a common area of rust.

Cosmetic issues are easy to deal with as long as the rust is not bad. Mechanical issues can be spendy and more difficult.

Check it out and report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine and transmission were rebuilt by a mechanic who was an enthusiast, at 170K or so miles. It now has 200K. The body is in overall ok condition, I drove it, and it seemed tight. It's manual, and the seats are cloth. Saabs are weird. Center console keyhole...I mean...whoa.

The boost gauge showed at the top of the white area when lightly accelerating. I didn't look when I was accelerating quickly...

Engine bay was really clean....hood opened in the weirdest way I've ever seen. No rust in the doorwells, luckily I'm very good at inspecting cosmetic things, I tend to notice little problems that could turn out to be worse.

I talked the guy down to 1400, he said he couldn't really go any lower. I could pay 1400, but it's not registered, so I can't take it to a place, just going to try and have my mechanic come drive it, see what he thinks.

Any other tips?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue book is around 1200, but I don't know that I'll get the opportunity to get a nice C900 again any time soon, and I need a car that gets better gas mileage than my deville.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Mahalaleel said:
The boost gauge showed at the top of the white area when lightly accelerating.
The white area isn't really boost, it's just the spin of the turbine. The boost comes in the yellow and red. IMO, Most noticeable boost is at highway speeds (55-65 mph) in 4th gear, then accelerate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So would 1400$ be worth it...it's 200 over book, but I don't think I'll get another opportunity. I offered 1300$, and he said he could go down to 1400...should I tell him about book? The tires are getting low on tread, as well, if that has any factor.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think the price is pretty fair. Even a junker would get $500. It's not like you are trying to get a free car.

Be prepared for high repair bills from mechanics that don't work on Saabs. Parts prices are reasonable to a bit on the high side.

In all honesty, you have to really weigh wanting a Saab vs. what you can afford in repairs. These, like all cars, need some TLC sometimes.

I THINK I'm saving money by driving a Saab, only because I can do almost all repairs/maintenance myself (This has taken 4 years to learn).

My 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts