SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just ordered a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 for the wifes, and a set of Michelin Pilot Xalto A/S for mine! so glad to be rid of the P6 4 seasons... ugh...

so, to anyone wanting some P6s with about 10k miles, lemme know and we can work something out... wife and i got our cars at the same time and we have about 10k miles on each tire (one has just 2k miles as we had a sidewall flat on wife's).

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
So do you have 2 identical SS's?

I got the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. How did you choose the Exaltos?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do you have 2 identical SS's?

I got the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. How did you choose the Exaltos?
hers = 2008 2.0T auto trans, cold weather, silver metallic, soon to be primacy
his = 2008 2.0T manual trans, black, base car, soon to be exaltos

tires were a gift from a family members... came very highly recommended from tirerack.com and didnt wanna spend oodles... so we went for middle of the road. ya know? (still $1300 for tires, shipping, and install)

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
just ordered a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 for the wifes, and a set of Michelin Pilot Xalto A/S for mine! so glad to be rid of the P6 4 seasons... ugh...

so, to anyone wanting some P6s with about 10k miles, lemme know and we can work something out... wife and i got our cars at the same time and we have about 10k miles on each tire (one has just 2k miles as we had a sidewall flat on wife's).
We can work something out...

Like give me 50 beans and maybe I'll think about using them... Maybe
The P6's have to be the absolute worst piece of crap I have ever had the displeasure of driving on.

How do you like the Xalto's for now? How many miles on em?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We can work something out...

Like give me 50 beans and maybe I'll think about using them... Maybe
The P6's have to be the absolute worst piece of crap I have ever had the displeasure of driving on.

How do you like the Xalto's for now? How many miles on em?
they're gonna be installed on Saturday! ill let you know after a few hunderd miles. :)

and, i do agree on that deal, hope someone else will take em, like a saab dealer. they can sell em one at a time to someone with a sidewall flat or something.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I live in Cleveland too.....

How does the Saab drive in the winter....especially last winter with all the snow? I work downtown at the Clinic and have a 45 min drive on I 71.

What's your take on the local dealer service? My niece has had great service from Bedford and I've noticed you like North Olmsted. My battery took a dump during my first week of ownership and my car was towed to NO. I thought the service department was decent, but not the warm fuzzy feeling I thought I'd receive from a Saab/Mercedes/Porshe dealership.

Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

How does the Saab drive in the winter....especially last winter with all the snow? I work downtown at the Clinic and have a 45 min drive on I 71. Thanks.

Chris
Saabs are great winter vehicles... I think mine runs better when its 20 degs than in summer temperatures. As for tires/snow, the OEM Pirellis on our 2.0Ts really arent suited for Cleveland winters. We got our cars just as last winter ended so I cant really speak to the entire season, but changing to a different tire was definitely on my to do list before this season comes.

Shifting into first on my manual for cold starts in the dead of winter takes significantly more effort than during the summer. First time I experienced that, I thought something had broken on the car... now that I know its just the car, I think its silly that engineers didnt design around that better. The parcel shelf and shocks squeak a bit too in severely cold weather (could just be my build though...ya know, started on a Friday and completed on a Monday).

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
hers = 2008 2.0T auto trans, cold weather, silver metallic, soon to be primacy
his = 2008 2.0T manual trans, black, base car, soon to be exaltos

tires were a gift from a family members... came very highly recommended from tirerack.com and didnt wanna spend oodles... so we went for middle of the road. ya know? (still $1300 for tires, shipping, and install)
Awesome! Fraternal twins:p

·
Registered
377 Posts
Does Saab still sell the winter tire/wheel package? State of nine sells them, but they don't recommend them for 08+ because the wheels they sell lack the tire pressure monitors.

I figure one accident avoided using winter tires will essentially pay for themselves. And folks rave about winter driving using winter tires.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

How does the Saab drive in the winter....especially last winter with all the snow? I work downtown at the Clinic and have a 45 min drive on I 71.

What's your take on the local dealer service? My niece has had great service from Bedford and I've noticed you like North Olmsted. My battery took a dump during my first week of ownership and my car was towed to NO. I thought the service department was decent, but not the warm fuzzy feeling I thought I'd receive from a Saab/Mercedes/Porshe dealership.

Thanks.

Chris
i cant speak to the service of bedord, but their sales team is pretty subpar. north olmsted out performed bedford's sales team by a significant amount on the identical car. and, as for service, north olmsted is the only dealer i trust to have my car. they correctly identified and fixed an issue that 2 other saab dealers missed. they also valet to the east side (not sure if u have to buy from them for that though), and they have a very respectable loaner fleet. their saab facility isnt much to look at, but they deliver in many other ways. if u want some contact names, PM me and ill tell you who to talk to. north olmsted is nearly 32 miles from where i live, and i rarely, if ever, have a reason to be over there, but i like to stop in and say hi every once and a while just because these guys treat us so well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
08manny,

you got your tires at tirerack.com so you just went to a dealer or a garage to get them installed? how much was that? i keep hearing that you should just buy tires from somewhere that will install them otherwise if you bring in someone else's tires they'll charge you a hell of a lot more. that true?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
08manny,

you got your tires at tirerack.com so you just went to a dealer or a garage to get them installed? how much was that? i keep hearing that you should just buy tires from somewhere that will install them otherwise if you bring in someone else's tires they'll charge you a hell of a lot more. that true?
its 6 of one, or half a dozen of the other. unless you use walmart for mounting, which no one who cares about their car should do, you'll spend about the same if you buy from an installer, or have shipped to them and then have em mounted.

there are benefits both ways though. tirerack allowed me to get exactly what i wanted installed by exactly who i wanted. other setups may not allow for that.

i ordered from tirerack.com and had the tires shipped to the facility where i got them installed. i used a specialty import car guy in cleveland (called larchmere imports). he was recommended by tirerack.com too...

·
Registered
70 Posts
thanks. i've always wanted to use tirerack but never wanted to get charged exorbitant fees for a 5 minute job. i'll definitely do it next time around.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
thanks. i've always wanted to use tirerack but never wanted to get charged exorbitant fees for a 5 minute job. i'll definitely do it next time around.

yeah... they charge the same to mount and install whether or not you buy tires from them (although you may be able to bargain with a local shop guy). the deal comes from better prices on tires.

tirerack has our OEM tires (pirelli p6) for 100/tire. in store, ntb (nat'l tire and battery) wants 186 for the same thing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i'm ordering a set of dunlop sport signatures for the volvo. for the money they seem to be the best tire from the tirerack...or is it just me?? speed rated, decent in all conditions etc....had them on my aero...seemed pretty darn good.. JMO

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
If you have a Discount Tire/Tire America near you that is the way to go. They'll match Tirerack and you've got lifetime balancing and rotations along with warranty support.

What do you do with tires bought from Tirerack when you need a warranty replacement?

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
If you have a Discount Tire/Tire America near you that is the way to go. They'll match Tirerack and you've got lifetime balancing and rotations along with warranty support.

What do you do with tires bought from Tirerack when you need a warranty replacement?
Don't tires rarely qualify for warranty service? I had a tire where the steel cords were showing after a few thousand miles (4k?) and the other 3 tires were fine. I got a partial refund from Pirelli arranged through Tire Rack. But that was in 1993. Later, I confirmed to myself that it was not an alignment problem as the car lasted many more years with no further tire problems.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I've had no problems with Discount Tire--3 sets have had warranty replacements.
Disc. Tire did try to get me something from Conti on the oem tires as they wore out at 22,000 mi. but Conti did nothing--shi*** company.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so we've had the primacys and exaltos now for over a month... almost 2 months...

they are pretty good tires. defnitely better than the pirellis in every way. the primacys are better for people who dont care about aggressive performance driving. they are very comfy over rough road, isolate potholes well, and have decent wet weather performance. we've put prob 2000 miles on the primacys already and i have no complaints. we will most likely use them when this set wears out.

as for the exaltos a/s... they are much more performance oriented, and boy can i tell. hard and stiff over most road surfaces. quiet. great cornering. up to about 30-35mph, i can make right angle turns without loss of grip on dry pavement (no screaching either... just that rubber on concrete sound). they really are not great on anything other than bone dry pavement (im a bit worried for cleveland snow thats on its way). during light rain, first gear acceleration usually results in wheel spin, 2nd gear once the turbo guage gets to about 1/2 will offer wheel spin too. 3rd gear seems to be w/o slippage. but, i love em and am glad i have them... i think these are the poor mans performance tires (advertised as A/S). supposed to have wet/snow weather capability, but im growing more and more skeptical as the weather deteriorates as we proceed toward winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.