1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Very little on the OG 9-3 requires security access (or the CANDI!) so just plug in and go.Lots on the NG requires security access and PC hookup.

Fault trace in WIS is useful for troubelshooting codes.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really needed unless you intend to replace and flash an ECU or module and you are probably a long way from doing that at the moment.
Naw... I have still have T7 Suite and a combi adapter in a box waiting for those duties.

If it’s decide to get a 9-3 SS will I have to get more involved?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Naw... I have still have T7 Suite and a combi adapter in a box waiting for those duties.

You will have to use the CANDI-adapter as a communication interface for the ng9-3.

To make ANY changes or alterations on the NG9-3 you'll need TIS on a PC + a serial port (DB-9) on your PC or a serial adapter. This will let you activate security access.

To only read and delete DTC's (fault codes) you can just straight up hook the tech2 up to the car with the CANDI-interface inbetween the car and the tech2

·
Registered
7,689 Posts

It's also possible to update things other than the ECU, for example the ACC. I"m not sure exactly how many such modules there are on an OG9-3. (Maybe just ECU, TCU, and ACC based on my T7 9-5.)

·
Registered
384 Posts
OG 9-3 and pre '06 9-5 are very easy to use tech 2 with (other cars need CANDi module (which actually came with my tech 2), and those cars might need need some sort of special security clearance, which TIS is required, but don't quote me on that).

Lot of info/programing /diagnosing available by just plugging in to OBD port. Any PC connectivity it seems is for tuning/SPS programming/updating and such, which I do not think I will need in the immediate future, but I bought this for when that time may come:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690402

So far I used mine on my '02 9-5 to put in a new ECU, peace of cake, and to change lock/theft settings, peace of cake

Used it in my '99 9-3 to turn off an airbag light and to diagnose some vert top issues, peace of cake

WIS is definitely your friend when it comes to troubleshooting problems, lot of step-by-step instructions on how to use the tech 2 to do certain things, and it's now available online (but less easier to navigate the pictures, but does have a better search function)

https://saabwisonline.com/

TIS2000 comes in to play when you want to connect the car/ECU etc to your laptop to do some stuff from there...but like I said, I'm not gonna tune my cars nor do I think I need special security clearance, so I'll learn that when I need to. Still wouldn't hurt to get it at least installed/running on an old Windows XP laptop (if you have it)

I'm personally thinking (sorry, hoping) I can bootcamp my MBP to Windows XP and use the serial to USB adapter that I linked above, but, like I said, we shall see!

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob,
How is the Tech2 performing? Thinking of getting one.
Thx!
Sorry for not responding... been extremely busy and once a thread ages, I lose it :sleep:

It's worked well for me. I haven't really pushed the limits at all or even got to know it well due to my schedule, but it did everything I needed including "programming" a copy modules and swapping a VIN for an ECU. I'm still a rank amateur with it and will be for a few more months until I get to play around. However, it does everything as designed from what I can see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
BobSaabit
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing