SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! This is driving me nuts:

I replace the nasty brittle ol' factory speakers with shiny new ones in the dash and rear parcel shelf. I test them w/ the factory Clarion AM/FM cassette deck. Work fine with the exception of the right rear speaker. This was out with the factory speaker so I'm assuming the deck is at fault.

I plug in a Crutchfield adapter harness to go from the two factory plugs to pigtails (just plain wires). I solder the Crutchfield harness wires to the JVC harness wires. I attach the JVC (the new stereo) harness w/ Cruchfield adapter harness to the factory harness. Everything seems to work great but no sound!

There is a light popping noise when I turned on the JVC. After that, silence. I pulled the speaker side adapter plug off and hooked up speakers to the JVC/Crutchfield harness. Works great!

The round plug hanging off the factory frame/amp. that held the Clarion was plugged so I don't suspect a separate rear amp. w/ this setup. No equalizer.

What might be cutting the sound out between the JVC harness (w/ Crutchfield adapter) and the speakers?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
It sounds to me that your speaker wiring does not coincide with yer adapter, or you connected something wrong.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grif900 said:
It sounds to me that your speaker wiring does not coincide with yer adapter, or you connected something wrong.
Remember, there are two plugs coming out of the Saab harness: one for power, one for speakers.The stereo works perfect with the power side of the harness connected to Crutchfield adapter (and then to JVC harness). If there's a wiring problem it would be the way Crutchfield matches up their colors on the speaker side of the harness plug to the factory speaker harness plug.

I'll have to check what I have for the factory colors with the Crutchfield colors. I'll even use my jumper wires to go from Crutchfield harness (which I know works) to the factory harness in case there's some sort of male/female pin issue.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sometimes the radios require a double live. (I think one powers the radio and one the spaekers, don't ask me how they manage that!) Do you need to enter any safety codes etc. Did the radio come with a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well it's fairly easy to run new wire to the fronts. The rears, on the other hand....

Those old brittle speakers could well have been hooked up to old brittle wires. Check for continutity along each wire? Doing that will also confirm which wires are which.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I used the Crutchfield adapters to hook up the stereo in my 91, and it worked great. I did not use the Crutchfield diagram, but instead looked at the wire colors (Bentley diagram) to make the hookups. I really don't know if the Crutchfield diagram sent was correct or not.

I suggest getting out the Bentley and attacking it that way...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sam Elm said:
I used the Crutchfield adapters to hook up the stereo in my 91, and it worked great. I did not use the Crutchfield diagram, but instead looked at the wire colors (Bentley diagram) to make the hookups. I really don't know if the Crutchfield diagram sent was correct or not.

I suggest getting out the Bentley and attacking it that way...
No Bentley yet, still searching the planet. Ebay had one on CD recently, one paper manual right now.

I did scrounge up a wiring diagram for the factory stereo harness. I'm also going to measure resistance between the terminals and the factory plug. Flipping down the back seat to measure the back speaker wires (unplugged from speakers of course) is a bonus! I'll also reverse direction to see if I'm going between any semiconductor devices.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
9008v said:
Sometimes the radios require a double live. (I think one powers the radio and one the spaekers, don't ask me how they manage that!) Do you need to enter any safety codes etc. Did the radio come with a wiring diagram?
All the factory power wires (at least in number and placement) matched up w/ the Crutchfield harness. Crutchfield (and the JVC stereo harness) has a power (accessory - ignition switch) and a constant 12V (memory) as well as a light wire. That, as far as JVC's and Crutchfield's wiring diagrams go match up. So I feel I'm good as far as power.

The new (JVC) head unit works fine without entering in any kind of code (like the old Clarion). I'm 99% sure the power plug is connected properly since the JVC works with it connected to the car's plug with external speakers hooked up (via wires plugged directly into the end of the adapter harness's speaker plug. It's like there's something in-line with all four speaker wires the Clarion liked that the JVC doesn't .

I thought it might have been some sort of hidden amp. from the factory as this car doesn't look modified at all, very likely never had anything but the factory Clarion w/ factory speakers.

I'll let the multimeter have a shot at it next.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
it almost sounds like you've got a factory (or aftermarket, who knows what evil lies in the hearts of previous owners?) amp that's no longer getting power. I'd take a look under the back seat - you might find the offending character trying to hide from you there!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi

If there is no external amplifier and the harness that you created is free of defects, you could also start checking for an open or short for the speaker wire "behind" the factory harness. There could be crossed wires, wires contacting the chassis or a combination of those. From my prior experience dealing with something like this, it seems that one short is enough to shut down the amp in inside a headunit (i.e. no sound from any speaker).

You may have already started this, but I'll just mention that you can probe the factory harness to test for bad wiring to the speaker.

Disconnect your harness before staring.

Verify continuity between pinouts for each speaker:

With all new speakers connected to the existing wiring, probe the harness to check for continuity between the (+) and (-) terminal for each speaker.

Check for shorted speaker wire:

Disconnect all speakers and protect the leads (the ends of the wires) with insulating tape. Make sure the leads are not touching each other or other metal objects. Then repeat the test above. If the meter meter shows continuity, at any time, there is your problem.

Check for speaker wire shorted to chassis:

Ground one of the test leads to the chassis (or something you 100% sure is ground), then use the other lead to probe each speaker connection at the harness.

This wouldn't cover all of your bases by any means, but it seems like a good place to start your search, particularly considering that rear speaker that you mentioned wasn't working before.

Vespa said:
All the factory power wires (at least in number and placement) matched up w/ the Crutchfield harness. Crutchfield (and the JVC stereo harness) has a power (accessory - ignition switch) and a constant 12V (memory) as well as a light wire. That, as far as JVC's and Crutchfield's wiring diagrams go match up. So I feel I'm good as far as power.

The new (JVC) head unit works fine without entering in any kind of code (like the old Clarion). I'm 99% sure the power plug is connected properly since the JVC works with it connected to the car's plug with external speakers hooked up (via wires plugged directly into the end of the adapter harness's speaker plug. It's like there's something in-line with all four speaker wires the Clarion liked that the JVC doesn't .

I thought it might have been some sort of hidden amp. from the factory as this car doesn't look modified at all, very likely never had anything but the factory Clarion w/ factory speakers.

I'll let the multimeter have a shot at it next.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tardis24 said:
Hi

If there is no external amplifier and the harness that you created is free of defects, you could also start checking for an open or short for the speaker wire "behind" the factory harness. There could be crossed wires, wires contacting the chassis or a combination of those. From my prior experience dealing with something like this, it seems that one short is enough to shut down the amp in inside a headunit (i.e. no sound from any speaker).

Aha! I think you're on to something tardis! You've made me think about the symptoms I've mentioned (right rear speaker not working) and one thing I haven't: the right rear quarter took a good whack some time in the past before I became the latest owner (thus the silver door!). There is still a half-basketball size dent at about knee level on the left side sill as you enter that door. What might have happened is the wire got pinched against the frame!

I'm going to ohm out those wires against the frame and see what shows. Thanks for waking me up!

I'll let you all know as soon as I can. Together we will EX-TER-MIN-ATE the problem!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank-you tardis24, you got me headed in the correct direction. There was a short to (chassis) ground on the positive wire of the right rear speaker. I went as far as snipping that wire where the JVC harness joined the Crutchfield. I plugged in the stereo and fired it up.

Music! That short was keeping the stereo from turning on any of the four channels.

Now I just have to re-route that wire (pair). I hope it's not too awful. I might cheat and cut the wire past where it's crushed and solder a new wire on to that. Cheesy I know but I'm not going for high end on *this* Saab.

Thank-you all for lending a hand!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Vespa said:
I might cheat and cut the wire past where it's crushed and solder a new wire on to that. Cheesy I know but I'm not going for high end on *this* Saab.
Why not :). Put a couple of layers of heat shrink tube to protect the solder joint, and it should be just as good as new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts