SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
starter replacement

Hello. This may be a stupid question, but Ï'm an absolute beginner. I am going to put in a new starter in my 1985 900 T16, and I'm trying to find a used one. Does it have to be from another turbo car, or will any other 900 starter do?
Parts can be hard to come by, and I really need my car fixed before summer. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
You also can order the right part for your starter. It's possible that only the carbon brushes are worn out.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
don't get a used one! oil contamination "carbon"-as said above, ect will just mean it will fail soon. i'm sick of climbing under my firebird and replacing these stupid things, although saab doesn't even compare in quality to my american junk, used starters aren't in the best of shape. a refurbished one or a new one isn't too expensive, call around to the autoparts stores or try eeuroparts:cheesy:
{edit}-or the most economical solution could be to park the car always in a situation where it could be pushstrated, unless of course you have an automagic, how i start my stupid firebird most of the time:evil:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's for the advice. I think there's a bosch garage close to where I live. Probably a good idea to let them have a look at it. Any good advice on how to get the starter out of the car? Do I have to remove anything else than the turbo ducts (or whatever they are called)?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Starters from ANY saab from 80 to 90 will fit (only the 2.3 l engine ones changed their mountings.)
Starters fail from only a few causes : DeWorn brushes at hi mileages, Rusted Bearing in the front clutch /slider (visible as red dust when viewed) Or from erosion of the internal solenoid contacts.. usually caused by the siezed bearing problem.
Someti=mes the Wiring harness to the solenoid self destructs check it first :)
Be Carefull of 'Rebuilt' starters even "bosch' rebuilt ones.. Quality is 'spotty' and be sure to buy from a reputable shop giving a 1 year warranty as it is common for these to fail... requiring waranty replacement.
Used is often a Good choice.. IF you know what yr looking for as indicators of condition. (read above again :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The starter is attached by 2 large bolts, and there are 2 small 12mm bolts at the back (holding a bracket to the engine block).

Bosch says that the rear bracket is not needed (they don't include on new/rebuilt starters), so replacing the starter just means undoing the 2 large bolts :)

I reinstalled the starter in our 1990 900S a year ago without the bracket, and so far it works perfectly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Burned out starter

I took a dead starter out of my 1985 T16 yesterday, and found out that it was totally fried. I mean totally, small copper bits was coming out of it, even before I opened the cover. When I did, everything inside disintegrated, and it smelled like melted plastic. The wire between the solenoid and the starter was of course fried into a lump.

My question is: what causes starters to fry like that? I replaced the ground wire from the alt last summer, as it was broken off. Could the broken ground wire be the answer? Or is it the ignition?

I'm going to put in a new starter this Sunday, but I'm not sure if I dare, if it burns right away. Any good ideas on how to avoid that?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Probably a sticking solenoid, the starter gear would stay engaged with the flywheels while the engine is running, it happened to me, not good!:lol:

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Lloyd said:
Probably a sticking solenoid, the starter gear would stay engaged with the flywheels while the engine is running, it happened to me, not good!:lol:
Yes. But 'yes' is too short to post:evil: .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're probably right. At closer inspection I saw that the little cogwheel that puts the starter in connection with the flywheel was now almost "cog-less" (pardon my faulty english).

One more question, however; is the flywheel more robust than the starter, so that it's still intact? Replacing the flywheel seem to be too great a task for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If, when you put the new starter on, the car starts fine several times and there is no skipping or grinding, then the flywheel will be fine.....or good enough

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank's for all the good advice. I've put the new starter in, and she starts, she purrs like a kitten.

Now I have one less problem, and time to deal with all the others. For instance the fact that the battery light comes on whenever the engine's off. I have to disconnect the battery, or else the light will drain it. Any good ideas on that one? The alternator is good, by the way. Replaced it last summer, and it feeds back 13-14 volts.

KK

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
kniven said:
the battery light comes on whenever the engine's off. I have to disconnect the battery, or else the light will drain it. Any good ideas on that one? KK
KK:

Can you adjust the instrument panel lighting with the little rheostat when the car is off? If so, I strongly suspect that the ignition switch relay in the fuse panel is bad.

It is worth trying a test replacement anyway if you can borrow one.

After that, could be a wiring failure anywhere. Tough to track down. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
KK--

Your ignition switch may be bad. Remove your console cover, then pull the thick gray wire (terminal number 30) off the ignition switch. If your battery-drain problem is now gone, the switch is bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank's for good advice, Profz and eggsngrits.
I'll check it out soon. I don't have to remove the console cover, though, I just got the car back after it had been missing for two months. The damned carjackers had tried to hotwire the car or something, and wrecked the cover altogether - before they jammed a screwdriver in the ignition. :( My car was stolen twice in three months. Do you know if it's easy to steal a Saab?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the theft:eek:

This may explain why you have a problem, though--the connections on the ignition switch may have been changed. Check to see that they are correct.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts