I just wanted to share my BBA-REMAN experience. To make a long story long... After getting my first SAAB a couple of months ago I thought I would repair the SID. Half of the ribbon cable was off the motherboard. I did manage to get it to work about 70 percent. That in itself was no small feat. Just think superglue, microscope, and soldering station with digital heat adjust. I finally decided that 70 percent isn't good enough. I gave BBA-REMAN a call and they said that I might have to send my unit in to be repaired. I told them I don't want my unit back. A day later I checked online and it still showed an exchange unit for $99. I decided to order it knowing that they may or may not have it. Today I got a call and "they" apologized that it couldn't be shipped out until tomorrow and said that I could have my money back if I wanted. No way. They said I should have my unit by Friday. Then I just need to put the old unit in the prepaid UPS packaging. Sorry for rambling. My point is that the customer service I received from BBA-REMAN was awesome. I'll let you know if I get the unit by Friday or not.