SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2001 9-3 3-door. It's time for new shocks, one rear one is leaking very very very slightly and the other 3 are getting replaced because I wanna do the front ones and I know you don't replace a right and not left on front or rear. So my question is.

What kind of shocks should I look for?
Are they all shocks or am I gonna have to cough up more money for struts?

·
Registered
803 Posts
01Brian said:
What kind of shocks should I look for?
Are they all shocks or am I gonna have to cough up more money for struts?
It all depends on what you're looking for in ride feel. Personally I don't want the "rattle your teeth" type sport suspension. I want something that's firm but still comfortable. That's why I'm going for the Bilstein HD strut inserts. Tirerack has them at the most inexpensive price I've been able to find from a trustworthy vendor. Keep in mind you'll need strut mounts and bearings. An alignment will also be needed. These extra costs all add up. I've priced the job at $603.58 for parts including new tie rod ends before labor. I figure labor and an alignment should be about $300-$350.
2nd question - They're strut inserts. You won't have to replace the entire assembly or the springs if they are in good shape.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm

I'm looking for more of a stock shock. :p That I could find at autozone or O'Reilly Auto Parts. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
01Brian said:
I'm looking for more of a stock shock. :p That I could find at autozone or O'Reilly Auto Parts. :)
I have KYB stut inserts in my car now, installed by the previous owner. They are the least expensive ones you can find. To be perfectly honest, I hate 'em! They didn't even last 2 years. My advice to you would be, spend a few extra bucks and at least buy the direct OEM replacement which are Boge if I can remember correctly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would Bilstein front rear strut insert - sport work all around? They say they can be front strut inserts or rear shock absorbers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have Monroe shocks (purchased from Advance Auto) on my 2000 9-5 SE. They are a medium-soft shock, I would say. They won't give you excellent control in cornering but they do the job on the expressway. I noticed quite a bit of oversteer in hard acceleration, too. After about a year and 12k miles I have a bit of a steering jiggle after potholes and bumps. However, take my rating with a grain of salt--I have 140k miles and I don't have docs on when, if ever, any front-end bushing were replaced.

edit: I am aware that oversteer probably has nothing to do with the shocks but I remember noticing it more after putting the Monroes on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts