SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Saab - Paint ProblemsHi Everyone, I am new to Saab and the forum.
Having carefully selected my next car I went for a new Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 2.0t.

I picked the car up last Saturday afternoon, 2nd July. It is in black with parchment leather and looked superb. :D

However on close inspection I noticed paint blemishes on the bonnet, roof and boot. Then along the flat edges at the top of the doors near the windows.
I wondered if it was the Sureguard treatment which I had been applied but then I saw the same blemish on the windscreen edges and plastic around the windscreen. Obviously I wasn't very happy :cry:

I can only describe it as though something has contaminated the paintwork during transit. The marks look like oil on water, like a grey/blue colour. The only way to remove them is to use a wa/polish with a mild colour restorer - but surely this isn't right on a new car?

It went back to the dealer yesterday to be valeted again but the marks are still there. It looks like they have just wxed it again. The salesmanager now wants the bodyshop manager to look at it.

The car itself is superb but I am really concerned about the paintwork.
Any advice, should I or can I reject the car.
cheers
Help please :confused:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Firstly welcome to Sabbcentral - and it's tradition to post a photo of your car (somewher in the top section).
If your not 100% happy with the paintwork, i'd be tempted to reject it. If it was a part that can be unbolted and replaced, that would be OK, but with paint your stuck with it. Speaking from a black 93 owner myself - you really do have to spend a lot of time carefully cleaning the car to keep it looking good (read the detailing section: swirls etc) and it would bug the life out of me noticing the blemishes in the paintwork each time i washed the car.
If you can live with it, see if you can get some compensation/incentive not to reject your car from the dealer;) .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that.

I know black is hard to keep looking good and as you say if I do know about the blemishes it will always annoy me.:evil:
Who is responsible though, Saab or the Dealership.
Do I just write a letter rejecting the car?
cheers

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If its a problem within the paint then the problem is Saabs (manufacturing defect) if its something onto of the paint, then it could be down to the dealer. Either way, af far as it concerns you - its your dealers problem, and if you arent happy with your car after spending over £20k take it back to get it sorted, and get the dealer principle involved if you have to. If you feel like your being spun a line or being fobbed off in any way, take it to another dealer - but if you want to reject the car then do so ASAP.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
20,262 Posts
If I'm not mistaken all Saab's come through a port up in New Jersey. The rain up there is notoriously acidic and there have been several cases where it came in contact with new cars stored there and destroyed the paint. I think Finklejag had paint problems when he first received his car due to this.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Diggs said:
If I'm not mistaken all Saab's come through a port up in New Jersey. The rain up there is notoriously acidic and there have been several cases where it came in contact with new cars stored there and destroyed the paint. I think Finklejag had paint problems when he first received his car due to this.
What, Sweden to New Jersey USA, Back to Manchester UK? I think not. :nono;

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Diggs said:
I live in NJ and the paint on my Saab (or any other car I've had) has never been damaged. :roll:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Dave N said:
What, Sweden to New Jersey USA, Back to Manchester UK? I think not. :nono;
:lol: I think their was a slight misunderstanding on the Location of Manchester. My car went from Austria - Sweden - Germany - UK, so they can travel a bit!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys, probably my fault for not stating Manchester UK. :roll:

As it happens I have just had a call from the Saab dealer saying that the Bodyshop Manager wants to see my car later today so I am going there before 6pm.

Should I prepare a letter rejecting the car tonight so that I can hand it in tomorrow? Should I do this to cover myself anyway?

Also, when it went back yesterday it was dealt with by the valeters so I am not sure what they have done with it other than wax it. If they use any type of renovator polish wont they have to reapply the sureguard?

cheers

·
Super Moderator
20,262 Posts
Sorry. I sometimes forget to check someone's location before responding. Forget I said it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I wouldnt bother with the letter at the moment, go and see the body shop guy and see what he's got to say. You usually find (if their worth there salt) that they wouldn't let you drive away with something they wouldn't be happy with themselves. They may look to respray over the affected area, but i'd wonder what future problem the contaminent could cause???
But if you do feel like your being spun aline etc, get the dealer principle out for a look, and then mention rejecting the car.
Hope it goes well!

Edit: Some info on rejecting defecting cars to arm yourself with : http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks JWLankey, :cool:

I'll follow your advice. I couldn't accept resprayed bodywork on a car which is days old. The respray would be the roof, bonnet and boot.
Honest John says they should have 3 attemps to rectify it so if the bodyshop have it that will be the second.
Can't blame the saleman but the valeter should have noticed it before I picked it up and done all this in the background so that I didn't know about it.

Other than this the car is excellent. It matches audi (A4) and mercedes (C Class) and the engine is smoother than both of these. Really hope they sort it out.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Congratz...the black DOES look utterly cool :)

I have supaguard (perhaps slightly different) on my espresseo black aero - I dont think its very good (after a year old I couldnt see ay of the water repellent properties) - the car surface is REALLY sensitive to water marks...the ones on the boot (tends to collect sitting water) were so bad I have had to polish them out.

I'm sure your pretty savy on this...but to keep it nice looking...avoid car washes and get some good quality cotton pile cleaning cloths/mits - decent shampoo with lubricant - and never use shampoos formulated with wax (bitter the voice of experience here :evil::x:eek:).

Was that Straatstone you got it from in Salford ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Mate,

It is superguard I have too, checked with Saab last night. Did you get a small bottle of superguard when you had it done? The dealer is Wilson & Co in Bolton, used to be Kirby Central. Got a good deal with the £750 P/X contribution and £1000 to fuel costs and 3 years free servicing from Saab.

Update on the paint issue:
I met the Bodyshop Manager last night and he checked the marks. He ised this little fold out magnifying glass gadget to view the surface and he said it is on top of the laquer and not in the paint :p. It is industrial fallout of some kind but it will polish out :D He will make his recommendations to the Saleman tomorrow and arrange to have the car back for a day or two while they polish the surfaces and then re-apply the Superguard.
He says the valeters can do it if they are told exactly what to do - you'd think they'd know if it was there job but I don't think they are professional valeters really :(

Fingers crossed that it works this time.

I'll let you know the outcome

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congratulations on your Saab, I also bought mine from Wilsons & Co in Jan 05 (an ex demo Vector). Had a few problems with the dealership and providing proof of checks, correcting minor trim and paint faults, the car not being valeted on collection and a general couldn't be [email protected]*£ed attitude.

For my sins I took my Saab to them for it's first service last month, never again, quoted over the phone £220 inc VAT, went to pay and was told I was misquoted by their service agent and they now wanted £265 plus VAT and I must have been mistaken, I ended up sitting there for two hours before they gave in. (was fuming at the time, quite funny now though, a bit of a Victor Meldrew moment :))

Have written to Saab about them and still awaiting a reply, my advice push them very hard they didn't seem to want to sort out my problems until I raised my voice in the showroom on a busy Saturday Morning!! and get any aftercare done anywhere else.

IMHO they don't do the Saab image or reputation any good at all, which is such a shame as the car is miles better than the Audi A3 new shape I had before it.

Carl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the response Carl M.

I am starting to see what you mean. They were supposed to call me today, first thing but I've heard nothing so I'll have to chase them again.:evil:
Also, they owe me a cheque as cashback from my Audi and I've had various excuses on that for a week. Do they think you'll just go away, I don't think so ??? :nono;

I'll take your advice and take post sales work elsewhere. There's the one on Manchester but a mate of mine with an old 93 2.3 goes to blackburn. He says they are superb :)

Tried my aux connector at lunch time with the lead and MP3 player attached but couldn't get any output. Selected AUX and tried volume but nothing, any ideas? :cry:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the response on the AUX connector but the link doesn't work. I'll have them check it if/when I get the car in for the bodywork :(

BTW - re Paintwork & Wilson and Co. - As Carl M says they are really poor. I have had to chase them again today to find out that the salesman is not in today and there is no-one in service, basically Saab is unmanned.

No one can take charge to sort arrangements out for my car and as for my overdue cheque the other signature cannot be obtained until Monday now. This is a joke of a company that does no good for the good name of Saab. :(

I am putting a letter together now which I'll hand in tomorrow but I bet it'll have little effect :(

Wilson & Co - AVOID THEM !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts